Pecking you

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GSDBESTK9, Apr 11, 2012.

1. GSDBESTK9

GSDBESTK9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland
    I've had a couple of my baby chicks peck me when I went to pick them up, right now they are a week old and doesn't hurt, but I wonder if, as they get older and stronger, will it hurt?? Do they peck you a lot? Specially when you try to pick them up??

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Chickens peck..and, yes it hurts. They peck as a way to explore and a way of defense. Most stop pecking as they get older..unless, you are carrying something yummy or you have on red nail polish or if you have a 'tasty' mole :)

If you startle them, they will peck. Roosters peck more than hens in my experience. Chicks peck to explore and see if you are bringing them treats :)

3. GrandmaChickie

GrandmaChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    I think LeadWolf1 about covered it, but thought I would add my 2 cents. [​IMG] My hens got a little peckish for a while, especially my toes, when I was sitting out with them, keeping watch. After catching me off guard a couple of times and making me shriek and flinch convulsively, they left my feet alone--scared the poor boogers! They're just curious and will still take a poke at a patterned shirt or something like that, just to make sure it's not something good to eat.

4. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

5 of mine are 7 weeks old now and only one of them pecks. Well actually she sneaks up on me and bites me. lol The others only peck if they see a fleck of something on me or glittery nail polish, which I don't wear nail polish anymore because I have very thin sensitive nails/finger tips. The more you handle them the more they get used to you.

5. GrandmaChickie

GrandmaChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2012
    Very good advice, 3LilBirds! [​IMG]

6. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks. :) I probably should have stated that the one that pecks me she was already a month old when I got her. She might even be a little older then that. She is slowly getting used to us though. :)

7. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    Mine pecked me constantly for a day or two. But I took this as a sign of exploration and discovery. They were getting to know me and since they don't have hands, have to use their beaks to do so. I got my freckles, hair, nose, ears, glasses and even my teeth pecked!! The love my false nails and anytime I wear jewelry I'm bound to get pecked. But now that the initial phase of the peck-a-thon is over, they don't do it so much anymore.

Now since they know what everything is on me, they aren't as interested. I actually found it kind of endearing the way they were so curious about me and not afraid to check me out so thoroughly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by