Pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Concordmommy, May 8, 2009.

1. Concordmommy

Concordmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    My girls are still establishing a pecking order--this is only their third day in their new home. But my poor golden sexlink Rosalyn is getting picked on and her back is bleeding a little bit. A VERY little bit, but definitely there. Seems like they are pecking at where her tail feathers are growing in. They are only 9 weeks old, my little pullets.

Normal? I know I'll keep an eye on them. I see them pecking her once in a while, not an onslaught or anything, just occasionally oen of them will just peck at her in the same place.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If they peck to the point of blood it is important that you seperate the injured pullet. They are driven by the sight of blood to peck and peck until they kill her.
    Once she's healed and back with the flock if you notice them pecking her again, try putting an anti-pecking ointment on the spot. I prefer pine tar. It gives them a real nasty taste and the really don't like it.

3. Concordmommy

Apr 7, 2009
    Do I need to separate her if she's not being pecked that much? It's really just occasionally that they peck her.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If there is obvious blood for them to see, then I would recommend that you do seperate her. As much as we think of our chickens as sweet babies, they are cannibalistic.
    If seperation would be a hardship, at the very least coat her wound. Like I said, pine tar worked great when I needed it. One taste of the foul stuff and the peckers decide to find something better to do with their time.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I got away with spraying Wound-Kote on my roo's hiney. One of my hens pecked him bald and raw. Once his backside was purple instead of red, she left him alone. Just be careful, that stuff gets everywhere and it stains. (got it at TSC in the cattle section).
    Watch your chicks closely, I've heard horror stories about babies getting pecked to death in a hurry once they start to bleed.
    Hopefully, you can stop the pecking before it becomes a serious (life threatening issue).
    Best wishes!

6. Katy_didnot

Katy_didnot Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Good name! Rosalyn is my daughters name!
    Take good care of that girl [​IMG]

7. Concordmommy

Apr 7, 2009
    I'll have to get the coating stuff tomorrow, everything is closed now.

I checked her though and I can't see any more blood. I'll keep an eye on her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by