Pecking

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by redrocketrooster, May 25, 2010.

1. redrocketrooster

redrocketrooster Allons-y

Feb 8, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    I currently have an issue with a chick pecking the weaker one constantly. The two are roughly five days old in a larger steri-lite bin, a thermostat and a red heating lamp. One has had poopy butt from the moment I purchased her, I applied olive oil and then removed a few feather from that area. She still manages to get poopy butt and she is less energetic because of it. The other chick had been pecking her and I believe it's becuase the Brahma is weak as the are of pecking is not her vent but rather any other place that hurts. Like her face of her head.

Are there any ideas of what would ease her pecking? Since there are only two I can't imagine a separation however listening to the chick scream while her feathers are being ripped out is not easy for me.
    Thanks in advance guys! [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If you can apply some pine tar without it getting in the brahmas eyes, I would definitely do it. One good taste of the pine tar and they won't come back for seconds. They'll be too busy running around trying to get it off their beaks.
    You can find pine tar as TSC, farmer's co-ops and the like. It's usually sold in the equine section, as it's also used on horses hooves. It's sticky and a mess to apply, but very effective.

3. redrocketrooster

Feb 8, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Quote:I like that idea but it's basically ALL over the Brahma that gets pecked. I'd have to cover her it? Do you think it would still work?

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I like that idea but it's basically ALL over the Brahma that gets pecked. I'd have to cover her it? Do you think it would still work?

I wouldn't cover her in it, no. Observe them for awhile and see which area of her body gets the most pecking. Use the pine tar on that spot. Chances are the pecking chick will get the hint.

5. redrocketrooster

Feb 8, 2010
    Chandler, AZ

I wouldn't cover her in it, no. Observe them for awhile and see which area of her body gets the most pecking. Use the pine tar on that spot. Chances are the pecking chick will get the hint.

Well I dabbled some on her head, though it isn't pecked all the time it hurts a lot when it is. The other chick has decided to move onto her neck now....

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I wouldn't cover her in it, no. Observe them for awhile and see which area of her body gets the most pecking. Use the pine tar on that spot. Chances are the pecking chick will get the hint.

Well I dabbled some on her head, though it isn't pecked all the time it hurts a lot when it is. The other chick has decided to move onto her neck now....

That poor baby and you only have the two of them right? Seperation is almost entirely out of the question, because even though one is a bully, they'd miss each other if seperated. They only other suggestion I can offer is to move them to a larger brooder and perhaps offer some toys - plastic balls (sold for cats), empty toilet paper tubes, etc.
    Good luck to you. Sorry I couldn't offer more help. [​IMG]

7. redrocketrooster

Feb 8, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Quote:Well I dabbled some on her head, though it isn't pecked all the time it hurts a lot when it is. The other chick has decided to move onto her neck now....

That poor baby and you only have the two of them right? Seperation is almost entirely out of the question, because even though one is a bully, they'd miss each other if seperated. They only other suggestion I can offer is to move them to a larger brooder and perhaps offer some toys - plastic balls (sold for cats), empty toilet paper tubes, etc.
    Good luck to you. Sorry I couldn't offer more help. [​IMG]

The brooder they have is already huge. [​IMG] I have four parakeet toys including a mirror. It entertains the Brahma but the Delaware just wants to peck her. >_<
    Thanks so much for the help you offered, I appreciate it! Don't feel bad for not giving me a magic wand answer. These chicks have decided giving me a run for my money is best. Haha.

I wonder if I can put a hardware cloth divider between them?

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:There'd be no harm in trying it. If it works then great. If it doesn't and they start screeching about not being able to get to each other, then you haven't lost anything but your time.

9. carrlr

carrlr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    That's exactly what I was going to suggest, putting hardware cloth btwn them. As long as they can see each other perhaps they won't be lonely.

10. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Try getting another chick or two. Then the bully might have to start watching herself.

Either that, or separate. We had a single chick for two weeks until we got more. We put a small stuffed animal in with her, and that worked fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by