Pecking!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by AndysPeafowlSanctuary, Jan 17, 2011.

1. So I've never had a problem with peafowl pecking untill now. I have 2 silver pied hens, 1 dark pied hen and 1 pied peacock in a pen. I just got them last summer as chicks and I haven't had any problems and now pecking seems to be a problem. My pied peacock is pecking the 3 hens alot. They are missing quite a few feathers on their back and it seems the male keeps pecking the feathers as they grow back. Should I move the peacock into another pen for a while or do you think he will stop pecking the hens. It makes me quite angry [​IMG]

2. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Crowing

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    I would definitely move him & give the girls a chance to grow their feathers back. I wonder what triggers that?

3. ranit

ranit Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    Are they getting a gamebird feed? Sometimes not enough protein in a bird's diet will cause feather picking as the feathers are mostly protein.

4. yea i have them on a mix of game bird feed, medicated turkey starter crack corn and dried cat food. I starting to think some peafowl are just plain evil .

5. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Crowing

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Ya, your pure white one is just the very devil himself; you need to send him to me so I can straighten him out! [​IMG]

6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. lol i'll send you some babies

8. MinxFox

MinxFox Crowing

Sep 16, 2010
    Pensacola, FL
    How big is the pen?