1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buffrington, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Buffrington

Buffrington Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi all

I own a few buff' orpington chickens, A fully grown rooster and two hens, I also recently bought three 12 week old "pullets" I believe is the correct word. I am just worried about my one hen continuously pecking on the three pullets as this may cause stress in the long run and could effect egg laying etc. Any help and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How long have they been together? It takes up to a few weeks for the older birds to settle down and quit harassing the littles.
    How much space do you have, and how many birds? Overcrowding is a huge cause of behavioral issues.
    12 weeks may just be too young to go in with the big girls.

As long as there's no blood, it's best to just let them work it out. Make sure everyone can get to feed and water, the littles have places to hide from the big girls. Yes, changing the dynamic of the flock will cause disruption in the harmonics, but usually time is the key.

3. Buffrington

Buffrington Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2013
    The total number of birds are 6 and are also together for 10 days now. The coop space is 2m x 4m, but the pecking only happens in the coop and not during the day when day free range outside. There is also no blood and everyone get their share of water and feed.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by