Pecking????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrst08, Oct 26, 2013.

1. mrst08

mrst08 New Egg

Oct 26, 2013
    I just brought 4 chicks home today.... 1st time owing chicks :) I have two 3 week old buff orpingtons and two 3 week old speckled sussex... one of the sussex is pecking the others. I know there is the "pecking order' issue and such and they all are eating and drinking and seem to be healthy... could it just be the stress of bringing them home and the change of environment??? I have them in a homemade brooder that I feel is big enough for now... will be ordering their coop in the next few days but I feel it may be too cold outside at night... any advice???

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The general rule for chick heat is as follows:
    90-95 degrees for the first week of life and decrease by 5 degrees per week until fully feathered, usually at 6 weeks. Taper heat with smaller wattage bulb at 6 weeks if temps are very cold outside (they don't really have meat on their bones like the spring chicks at this time of year).

So if your coop has a heat lamp you can move them out to the coop when you get it (no wind blowing right on chickens- keep vents up high over their heads). Otherwise I'd keep them in the brooder until 6 weeks this time of year and cut off heat entirely for a few days before moving to coop.

They need to be able to get away from the heat to a cooler area in the brooder, as well.

As long as there is no blood drawn things are OK (or true bullying where it looks as though someone could be killed with the pecking). You can have two feeders if there is really a problem with the lowest in the pecking order being able to eat at the feeder.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  3. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    they will peck at each other a little. as long as one isnt getting overly picked on and stressed you should be fine. one of the first signs of stress is wings drooping. make sure they have plenty of feed and water, and are 80*(f) or warmer.

when i move mine outside in the winters, i usually wait until they are around 6 - 8 weeks old. i block off the coop door overnight, and in extremely cold weather. i also give a red lamp for warmth overnight or in cold weather.

[​IMG] from ohio.

4. mrst08

mrst08 New Egg

Oct 26, 2013
    so even at 6-8 weeks they know how to maneuver the ramp up to the coop? I am sure that sounds silly to ask but I don't know :/ I can easily block any wind from the coop area for nightime... it doesnt get below 60 most days here even in winter... nights are the coldest obviously lol It doesn't seem to be an 'aggressive' type of pecking but makes me sad for the other lil ones :( and when they move to the coop is that when I hang their food and water as well???

5. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    if its still in the 60's there you should be fine! weve had a few nights below freezing here LOL.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Three weeks of age is when I have found chicks to be mature enough to learn how to go up and down the ramp to their heat lamp. That is the age I start letting them outside (of course when the weather is good and of course under netting to protect from hawks). The trick is to not help them down the ramp. They will be cautious and it may take them days or a week to venture forth. I don't give them much space to wander though...just a little fenced square of ground or inside a dog kennel so they don't get lost. It is important to protect from wandering dogs, using good fencing as well.

Food and water in the coop is what I do now. I also have waterers in the runs.

7. mrst08

mrst08 New Egg

Oct 26, 2013
    ok... yeah today it was in low 80s =) but our winter consists of nights that can hit low 40s but thats usually not until late december... so I am thinking they should be fine in a few weeks then! YEAH!!! Thank you!

8. mrst08

mrst08 New Egg

Oct 26, 2013
    I will order the coop tomorrow and hopefully get it within a week... by the time it gets here and I get it all set up they should be good to go :D Thank you!

9. mrst08

mrst08 New Egg

Oct 26, 2013
    when should I hang their feed and water???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by