Peculiar color pattern

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MiddleChild, Aug 6, 2011.

1. MiddleChild

MiddleChild Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Eastern Massachusetts
    One of my Black Stars got broody so I begged some fertile eggs from a lady who runs all sorts of hens and roosters together. Hence - they're all Mutt-Bastid crosses, currently about 10 wk old. One in particular has caught my eye - he (I think it's a roo) is mostly black with green sheen, but there are some splashes of red. In particular, his red feathers are confined almost entirely to his left side - shoulder, side of throat, and side of breast. Tonight I was watching him closely and realized that the leg on the side with red feathers is bright yellow. The other leg, on the mostly black side, is a grayish brown. Absolutely different. Is there any particular significance to this?

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    possibly a mosaic... which 2 sides of an animal run by 2 different sets of genes..... quite rare condition... pic will be good...

3. MiddleChild

May 3, 2011
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Thought that might be the answer. I have one green eye, one brown one, and was told as a child I was a "genetic mosaic". Was never sure whether this was something to mention in public or not.[​IMG]

Pics will have to wait until I can wrestle my photo software into submission.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Search for chimera, I think that's what they've been called here. I don't remember where it was, but someone had a half frizzled-half smooth rooster! There have been pics of a few others, also, look like half came from one daddy and half from another. I've not heard weather it affects overall health or not.

5. MiddleChild

May 3, 2011
    Eastern Massachusetts
    MUST see if my pics were any good.

6. Deannster

Deannster Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2011
    I'd love to see some pics too. I have what I think is a chimera as well and I'd love to see another one out there. They are so cool!

7. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    This is so interesting, I hope you can upload some some pics [​IMG]

8. MiddleChild

May 3, 2011
    Eastern Massachusetts
    I have a couple of pics, but they're pretty poor compared to what I see posted here. I'll try to get them posted. I KNOW I don't have a full-front one that would show the body color distribution.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  9. MiddleChild

May 3, 2011
    Eastern Massachusetts
    OK - my first try at posting a photo.

[​IMG]

This is Early (hatched a day ahead of everybody else). I think he's a rooster. Anyway - the red splashes you see are almost entirely limited to his left shoulder/breast (and much brighter in good light) - just a few red flecks on the other side. The leg color - as clear as it is in the photo, the difference is more so in real life. I'll try to get a better picture in daylight.

10. allmychickens

allmychickens Just'a small town girl

Aug 4, 2011
    Washington
    thats interesting!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by