We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Pedophile drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mira123, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Mira123

Mira123 In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2019
    Hi, I know the title was a bit dramatic, but I'm worried. We just moved to a new home about a year ago and in the past 3 months have attracted first a Muscovy Drake. I'm sure he's a wild fellow. We started feeding him chicken scratch and he was very amusing waddling up to the porch to tell us he was hungry. Next thing I know a Muscovy hen shows up with her baby. Howard is a full grown drake, but I have no idea of his age. Hannah is the hen and they started mating about a month ago. Half Pint is the baby. Hannah has begun leaving for extended periods of time and I suspect she's nesting somewhere. But Howard has his hormones raging and is forcing Half Pint to mate. She runs screaming from him once she gets away. It's awful. Will he kill her? I think she's too young. I'm tempted to shoot him in the but with the BB gun. Any advice? Keep in mind that they're wild ducks.

Elsveta641 and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  2. Lacy Duckwing

Lacy Duckwing Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    Maine
    :welcome

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You'll have to hit something other than his butt to stop him. Drakes are notoriously horny creatures.

CCUK, Peepsi, HuffleClaw and 4 others like this.
  4. Ducklover77

Ducklover77 Songster

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    I understand that he's a sex crazy Drake and when I first started with muscovys it scared me to death but please don't shoot him with a BB gun they can't help the way they are. It's pretty violent when they mate but half pint will get away for all you know half pint could be a Drake too, he's just trying to get anything he can get a hold of. :welcome

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  5. Mira123

Mira123 In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2019
    Thank you. I was really worried that he would hurt her (or him). Half Pint is perhaps 3 months old. Maybe less. Howard is a big old strapping drake and no idea of his age, but he must weigh close to 20 lbs. He's huge. Half Pint has a game foot so can't run fast and of course doesn't have her flying feathers yet and I guess we're just being protective of the wee one. As long as he won't kill her with his amorous advances I'll leave them alone. I like supplementing their wild diet, but prefer to let them live as nature intended for the most part. At least they have a nice little sanctuary here that they can rest and relax in.

6. Ducklover77

Ducklover77 Songster

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Oh no half pint is hurt? The people on here are great with helping people on here I'm no expert but now I don't know what they would say since the poor baby is hurt. But I would like to pop some of my Drake's in the butt with a BB sometimes too :lau but they don't know any better like I said. They do get so sexually violent but the lovely people on here will give you some great advice I'm sure.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    Mira123 likes this.
  7. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    @Miss Lydia need to give her suggestions on this one!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Since these are feral Muscovys I don’t see how you can do anything to help half pint unless you take it upon yourself to adopt her and place her where the drake can’t get to her. I have had many Muscovy drakes and have never had one force himself on a young not mature duck. Maybe because there are other females around but I find this behavior odd. But then again the difference here is feral and non. I feel badly for the young duck having to go through this. And then to have a leg that’s injured so she can’t get away. Can you actually pick half pint up and get a pic of her leg. Or a video of her walking?Welcome to BYC @Mira123

9. Ducklover77

Ducklover77 Songster

Jun 14, 2019
    Florida
    Hope I didn't give a bad comment Ms Lydia was just worried

quackiemama likes this.
  10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Drakes do not care how young or old the ladies are. It is not always pretty. The ladies don't always want it or like it. For the most part they do alright. Since they are wild I would not recommend interfering. Also there is plenty of space to hide or fly away to. When we have domestic ducks in small fenced areas where they cannot escape we have more of a problem that requires us to intervene.

Ducklover77 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: