Pee Pads under Roost

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NCLady, Apr 13, 2018.

1. NCLady

NCLady Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2018
    I have 8 chicks from 3-5 weeks old and setting up my new coop! I was wondering if anyone has ever used Pee Pads under the roost? I thought I could secure them on a wide board under the roost then just pick them up and toss them every couple of days.

What issues would I run into?

2. AuntJamie

AuntJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2017
    Sort of Central Ohio
    Chickens pick. I expect they would pick it apart and eat the bits. The plastic they may pass but the inside stuff probably isn't good either.

3. AuntJamie

AuntJamie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2017
    Sort of Central Ohio
    Congratulations on the chicks, btw! They're so much fun. Watching them grow and play and do big chicken things. :)

4. NCLady

NCLady Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2018
    Thank you. I may try using the pads but will certainly watch for that and immediately remove them if they pick at them enough to start to cause problems.

5. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Using pee pads doesn't seem very cost effective to me, nor very environmentally friendly.

6. NCLady

NCLady Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2018
    I already use pee pads for my Maltese, so I could dispose of the Maltese poop then place themtin the coop so would actually be the second use out of them.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    'Securing' them might be tricky...they will scratch them all over, is my bet.
    And it might not work in the long run, after those cute little pullet poops turn into much larger blobs at onset of lay.

Many here use poop boards with PDZ.
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/6...raphic-gross-poop-pictures/1100#post_13179595

8. NCLady

NCLady Just Hatched

Mar 2, 2018
    I was thinking laying them on a couple of plastic dog crate pans then building a little frame of chicken wire To cover the pads. Pull them out every day or other and toss them. Then clean off the wire and plastic pans once a week or as needed.

I will see how it goes

9. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    I believe the tried and true pee pad / disposable diaper you are looking for is called deep litter. It serves the same purpose.

10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    Yeah I couldn't imagine paying for all those pee pads and working to install them, secure them, dispose of them, when I could just let the chickens poop on their litter and simply dump it all out in the run after a few months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by