1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

peeling boiled quail eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bkvail, Apr 3, 2009.

1. bkvail

bkvail Chillin' With My Peeps

someone mentioned the pin and salt water trick for peeling quail eggs easier? Could someone explain? when I did my pickled eggs (which are all gone, boohoo), I soaked them in vinegar overnight to soften the shells - but it was kinda a mess, and I don't really want to have to do it that way unless I have to. Is it better to have them a couple weeks old in the fridge rather than fresh like chicken eggs? Fresh chicken eggs are a pain to peel [​IMG]

Karin

2. AndreaGS

AndreaGS Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    West Sacramento, CA
    The way we did it, we boiled them and dumped them into ice water right afterwards. Then I rolled them a bit on the counter to crack it up and peeled. The shell came off pretty easily like this.

Ours were a few days old.

3. bkvail

bkvail Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:how long did you boil for?

4. AndreaGS

AndreaGS Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    West Sacramento, CA
    Around 8-10 minutes I think? We weren't really watching the clock.

5. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    They are hard to peel because they are so fresh. stick them in the fridge for a week and they peel very easy. It's because the egg is drying out and shrinking that makes them peel easy.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by