1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Peeling Eggs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ZuniBee, Oct 14, 2007.

1. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Songster

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    We have made hard boiled eggs a few times and found that the light brown eggs are extremely difficult to peel. Our white and dark brown eggs peel so easy. Is this normal or is there a secret to peeling the light brown eggs? [​IMG]

2. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Songster

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Hi Zuni,
    I just looked this up! I boiled 3 day old eggs tonight...let them sit for 10 minutes...then cracked them on the wide end and let them sit in cold water for a half hour or so. Shells came off clean...
    I'm eating EGGSALAD as I type this! [​IMG]

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Putting a little salt in the water seems to help.

4. peacebird

peacebird Songster

Apr 12, 2007
    Virginia
    when I let the eggs sit out on the counter overnight before boiling the shells come off easy!

5. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Songster

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    Thanks! I'll give these a try

6. eggchel

eggchel Crowing Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Fresh eggs are harder to peel so we always hard cook our oldest ones. I steam mine in the veggie steamer for 20 minutes. Really easy.

chel

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I always use the oldest eggs for boiling as well. I put them in a pot of cold water, add salt and a tisp of vinegar. I bring them to a slow boil and then cook then for 10 minutes. I turn off the heat put a lid on the pot and let them sit. I crack at the large end first and peel under cold running water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: