Peeling feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brooke5502, Jan 27, 2017.

1. brooke5502

brooke5502 New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    [​IMG]I have a lady that was limping for a couple days. Not eating much and not drinking much either. I brought her inside and gave her a warm bath to wash the nasty stuff off her feet and to inspect for injury. Her feel were peeling and raw flesh was under. Provided antibiotic cream and fresh beddig indoors. She is still not eating a lot. Our other hens have had issues lately with mites (I think). Tail and back feathers missing and some are bleeding. I have cleaned the coop out 4 times in the past couple weeks and tried to fix the mite issue. What can I do to help her feet and also mite issues.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. How cold are the temperatures where you live? Could you post a couple more pictures of her feet while standing? I think her feet look dark or black which may mean that she has suffered some frostbite. Her whole left foot looks black in the picture. These are the worst months in the US for frostbite. If they get their feet wet, then expose the skin to freezing temps, this can happen. I would spray her feet with Vetericyn or betadine. After seeing more pictures and hearing your response, it might be easier to tell if she might lose toes or a foot. Permethrin is very safe to use for mites. The spray will last for 30 days, and can be used in the coop and on the chicken at 5% strength. The garden dust can also be used on th chicken. Most feed stores sell both the liquid concentrate that makes many gallons, and only 1/2 ounce is needed on each chicken.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ameraucanas

Ameraucanas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2015
    I know that garlic is helpful when treating mites, lavendar is good for insect bites and relieving pain, dandelion also is good at relieving pain, marigold is good for insect bites, mint is good at healing wounds, as is narsatium and rosemary, but I would really take her to the vet if I were you.

1 person likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This hen might benefit from warm soaks in Epsom salts. Then gently smooth castor oil or coconut oil on her feet and legs after. I would do it every day for the next week. Keep her isolated in a crate lined with soft towels to cushion her sore feet.

To get rid of mites, you need to spray all the crevices of the coop with a good chicken approved insecticide such as permethrin or Elector PSP.

1 person likes this.
  5. brooke5502

brooke5502 New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    [​IMG]

6. brooke5502

brooke5502 New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    [​IMG]

7. brooke5502

brooke5502 New Egg

Jan 27, 2017
    [​IMG]

8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

That looks to be frostbite and she may lose both feet. If she were mine I'd put her down but if you are going to keep her, I'd slather those feet in castor oil and wrap them well in vet wrap and put her somewhere clean. Somewhere soft with deep bedding and where she won't have to walk far for food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by