Peeling fresh eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by amason, Jan 25, 2008.

1. amason

amason New Egg

Jan 25, 2008
    I am Amy's sister-in-law and I have a question that may have already been answered: is there a secret to peeling hard-boiled fresh eggs?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    THis has come up often.
    Some folk have to let their eggs age in order to peel them perfectly.

Some steam the eggs and find thats easier than boiling.

I boil in salted water. Put them under cold running water right away and then peel.
    I still don't get it PERFECT - but good enough for us.

3. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    When we want Hardboiled eggs, we use our Stock of older eggs, usually a week older or more, as they are much easier to peel than Fresh eggs. We always have at least a dozen or two of eggs, in the back of the fridge, that we let sit, specificall for hardboiling. Just makes life easier.[​IMG]

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
  5. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Remember that the eggs you get at the store are at least 45 days old. They peel easwily, ours are fresh and harder to peel, so holding them for a week or two is really the only way.

To check to see if and egg is fresh, set it in a bowl of water if it stays on the bottom it is fresh as it starts to lift up from one end it is less freah. If it is straight up then it is not fresh and you should consider tossing it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by