Peeling FRESH hard boiled eggs? Tips?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jennyf, Nov 23, 2016.

1. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    Anyone have any? Makes me realize just how old the store bought ones are. TIA!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Bring them to a boil slowly and then plunge them into an ice bath.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Start with cold water. Add the eggs and bring the water to a boil gradually. Boil for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and cover for 15 minutes. Immediately douse the eggs in cold water and refrigerate. The sudden shock of hot to cold helps loosen the shells.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I try to use my oldest eggs. Add about a tbsp. salt to the water when cooking them. That draws water from inside the egg as they cook. After cooling them in cold water, roll them on the counter to crack the shell all the way around. Start at the air cell, and use a spoon to help shuck them out of the shell. Doing it under running water helps, as the water gets between the membrane and the egg.

5. ambergds

ambergds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Utah
    I've had good luck with putting vinegar in the water while boiling. I'm not sure why it works, but my eggs are easily peeled, even fresh ones.

6. chickluvinfreak

chickluvinfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sprinkling a good amount of baking soda on the eggs wile their boiling helps a TON. The shells just peel right off. Also try to use your oldest eggs for boiling like @ambergds mentioned.

7. Petra Pancake

Petra Pancake Chillin' With My Peeps

I put them straight into boiling water to save cooking time but when they are done boiling I immediately throw out the hot water and fill the pot with cold water to cool them down rapidly. After a minute or so that water is lukewarm, so I throw it out again and put in fresh cold water. After that, the eggs are almost cold and peel easily, even if they are fresh from the coop. The key is cooling them down right away. Once I forgot it and the shells were almost impossible to get off.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I think whether you use salt or vinegar or baking soda, the end result is the same: changes the water so that it acts to draw moisture out of the eggs as they cook. This loosens the albumen from the membrane.

9. kblod66

kblod66 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    I use fresh eggs. I boil water in my steamer, put the eggs in and cover for 15-20 minutes, then into an ice bath. Perfect every time.

10. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I've tried this method, too. It works great! Steaming rather than boiling is the key, and the quick cool down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by