Peeling fresh hardboiled eggs!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wischickenlover, Sep 7, 2007.

1. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Songster

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    I know I have seen this topic dicussed before on the forum....but I cannot seem to find it. I am making potato salad this afternoon and could not bring myself to buy store eggs. Does any one have a trick that really works for peeling VERY fresh eggs? I need an answer soon. Thanks!

2. jenichick

jenichick Songster

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I boil my eggs then while they're still quite warm I peel them under very cold running water, works like a charm for me every time!

3. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Songster

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    thanks jenichick-i will give that a try! Anymore hints, anyone?

4. jkcove08

jkcove08 Songster

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I read on the other board to boil them with potatoes with their skins on, so I guess this could work double for you since you need to boil both. They said it must be the startch in the water that helps. I am not sure if it truely works since I have not done it my self but it is worth a try. Good luck, Jenn

5. Nyna

Nyna Songster

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    I heard to crack them all over and soak them in cold water for 15-20 min and then peel them under cold running water.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  6. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Songster

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    Some awesome suggestions-thanks so much everyone-think I will try the cracking them and soaking them in the cold water for a bit-I'll let you know how it worked!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

I personally find it easiest to just let them sit out on the table for a few days before cooking. [​IMG] I'm too lazy to do the fancy stuff. Just age and enjoy.

8. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Songster

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    If they've been in the fridge for a few days, they're very easy to peel.

9. jessied1227

jessied1227 Songster

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    The only thing that works for me is this:
    Put them cold from the fridge in cold water, bring them to a boil and let them go 13 minutes. After 13 minutes, put them under cold water and crack them, then put them in ice water until they're cold. They peeled like a dream.

The advice? Came from my Gramma who had chickens when she was younger.

Jess

10. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Put 2 or 3 tablespoons of salt in the water you boil them in...maybe a little more or less, I just throw some in from the container. Perfectlyl peeled eggs result.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: