1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peeling fresh hardboiled eggs!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by wischickenlover, Sep 7, 2007.

1. wischickenlover

wischickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    I know I have seen this topic dicussed before on the forum....but I cannot seem to find it. I am making potato salad this afternoon and could not bring myself to buy store eggs. Does any one have a trick that really works for peeling VERY fresh eggs? I need an answer soon. Thanks!

2. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I boil my eggs then while they're still quite warm I peel them under very cold running water, works like a charm for me every time!

3. wischickenlover

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    thanks jenichick-i will give that a try! Anymore hints, anyone?

4. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    I read on the other board to boil them with potatoes with their skins on, so I guess this could work double for you since you need to boil both. They said it must be the startch in the water that helps. I am not sure if it truely works since I have not done it my self but it is worth a try. Good luck, Jenn

5. Nyna

Nyna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2007
    Western Montana
    I heard to crack them all over and soak them in cold water for 15-20 min and then peel them under cold running water.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  6. wischickenlover

Mar 5, 2007
    Ladysmith, WI
    Some awesome suggestions-thanks so much everyone-think I will try the cracking them and soaking them in the cold water for a bit-I'll let you know how it worked!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I personally find it easiest to just let them sit out on the table for a few days before cooking. [​IMG] I'm too lazy to do the fancy stuff. Just age and enjoy.

8. FamilyOfChickens

FamilyOfChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northwest Indiana
    If they've been in the fridge for a few days, they're very easy to peel.

9. jessied1227

jessied1227 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2007
    East Brady, PA
    The only thing that works for me is this:
    Put them cold from the fridge in cold water, bring them to a boil and let them go 13 minutes. After 13 minutes, put them under cold water and crack them, then put them in ice water until they're cold. They peeled like a dream.

The advice? Came from my Gramma who had chickens when she was younger.

Jess

10. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Put 2 or 3 tablespoons of salt in the water you boil them in...maybe a little more or less, I just throw some in from the container. Perfectlyl peeled eggs result.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by