Peeling hard boiled eggs

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Deedlebug, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Deedlebug

Deedlebug New Egg

Can any tell me an easy way to peel fresh eggs. My girls fresh eggs are very hard to peel without loosing part of the white.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC

This is a commonly encountered issue with fresh eggs - but there are ways to make it work. How are you cooking the eggs? I find that steaming them is more successful than boiling --I steam for 12 minutes then straight to a cold water/ice bath. They peel much easier this way than any of the other ways I have tried.

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

What works best for me is something I learned off an old thread...

* Bring a pot of heavily salted water to boil
    * Gently lower the raw eggs into the water and bring to a boil again
    * Cook for about 14 minutes
    * Immediately plunge the cooked eggs into a bowl of ice & water
    * Once the eggs are completely cool, the shells come right off

Good luck to you, those fresh backyard eggs are worth it!

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Deedlebug [​IMG] Welcome!

I can not top the great tips you have already received so I will just add that I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    The method that NFC posted is the one that works like a charm for me! I keep the eggs cold in the fridge until the pot of water is fully boiling, then add them. Apparently this "shocks" them, and then they get shocked again when you take them out of the boiling water and put in the ice bath. They peel beautifully.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Now I'm hungry and have to boil a couple eggs for myself. Welcome to BYC

8. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I do pretty much the same, minus the salt. And I rinse in cold water at the end instead of an ice bath. Results are still good.

Made the mistake of "trying something new" recently and put the eggs in while the water was still warm, not yet hot (was trying to see if that would keep hairline cracks from forming due to temperature change). Didn't get any hairline cracks but the whites stuck horribly.

Now I just boil an extra egg in case one does crack a little while cooking. The dogs don't mind eating a less than perfect egg, and if they all come out fine, I just toss the extra into hubby's lunch.

9. Deedlebug

Deedlebug New Egg

Thank you for your tips on eggs. Just heard one more method going to try too. Suppose to put boiled eggs still hot into a tupperware sealed container and put in fridge for 15-20 mins apperantly the heat from egg and cool of fridge makes the egg separate from shell easier. Thanks again let you know which one works.

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Happy BYC could help you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by