Peeling hard boiled eggs

tlb

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
TX
Maybe it's just me, but when I hard boil fresh eggs, I have the hardest time peeling them....I end up mauling the egg. The shells stick to the egg and the white flakes off. When I'm done, I end up about 1/2 of the egg.

Is it the way I'm boiling them that makes the eggs so hard to peel?

I put the fresh eggs in a pot of water, bring to a boil, then turn off the heat and let them sit for 9 minutes.

I've tried peeling them while still warm, or a day or two later after they've been in the fridge with the same results...a mauled egg.

Am I just a total idiot, or do other folks have this happen to them, too?

We do the boil then ice method for our fresh eggs as well. HOWEVER...I will add, that this works on our barred rock eggs like a charm and the EE eggs, no matter how cold are ALWAYS a pain in the butt. Probably 50% of the EE eggs peel nice, the others take a layer of egg with the shell.
barnie.gif
We makes deviled eggs with BR eggs now.

I had this problem all the time until I read some post on here. I will tell you what I have been doing that has worked really well for me, for the most part. I still have some that are total pains to peel and I just want to scream.

I tap the egg on the counter just a little to make a tiny crack. Add them to the pot. Once I have put my water in there I add about 1/4 cup of salt to the water along with some vinager. I do not measure the vinager. I boil mine for 10 minutes. While the eggs are boiling I make some icewater in a bowl. Once the eggs have boiled your desired time, take them out of the pot and put them in the ice water bath. Leave them untile they are cold. This has worked for me the last couple of times I have tried it.

I hope this helps you also.

Last edited:
Martha Stewart says to never boil fresh eggs. Use eggs that are at least 5 to 7 days old they peel much better. Use the older eggs and you will find it much easier.
big_smile.png

I do exactly what the first post says to do in the link gritsar posted. Works perfectly for me every single time.

I didnt read the link on the tips so I dont know if this was on there but.... my grandma always added a teaspoon of oil to the water the eggs were boiling in. She thought the oil went thru the porus shell and made it easier to peel. Dont know if thats true or not but I always have way less trouble peeling the eggs cooked with the oil than the one that werent

Quote:
well here is one time Martha is not correct..

just to test the salt and pin hole method I collected a dozen eggs from the coop, one was still wet from being laid..

all twelve of them peeled perfectly.

DW made deviled eggs with them..

I have mostly buff orpington chickens.. I do not believe that the type of egg has anything to do with the ease or difficulty of peeling, though..

Back
Top Bottom