Peep is walking on sunshine now :(

magicpigeon

Songster
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
One of my silkie hens was killed today
hit.gif
I found her hidden in the bushes only slightly moving but it was clear she wasn't long for the world. Her insides had been ripped open and eaten. It was a wonder she was still moving.

I think our dog must have dug under the fence and stolen her. And the only reason we bought the dog was to protect the chickens!
hit.gif

tumblr_lpcqjjdB151qhdr45o1_1280.jpg

Peep was never 100% and was always a bit of a small one. She was battling an eye infection lately and I think could only see from one eye. She had 3 clutches of eggs, all of which were unsuccessful. Ever since we have been collecting and eating her eggs. I hope her death was quick and painless though I know that isn't likely. I am seriously considering just asking to have the dog "dispatched". Once they have the "Taste" do they stop? I am revolted, she even looked a little proud and showed me her "kill".
somad.gif

As a consolation, Peep's "soulmate" mister Buk Buk was rehomed a few months ago and I learnt, disappeared and most likely died. I hope that they are both together now, when I gave M.B. away Peep would search the garden "calling" for her friend
hit.gif
We are going to have her buried tomorrow in the "communal graveyard". She was only 1 year old.
th.gif

I don't know whether to cry or scream now.
barnie.gif
Right now all the silkies are going to be kept in the sleeping coop until the weekend where I can secure the fence. And the dog will be kept leashed (sp?) until I decide what to do with her.
Sorry for the long post everyone. I'm the biggest sook ever and cry for agessss whenever a bird dies.
hit.gif

Winding up, Goodbye Peep, I hope we managed to give you a good life with the short time you were with us, or that you are in a better place now. You will be missed more than you will ever know
hit.gif

Last edited:
So sorry you lost your chicken. We have 2 dogs, one that pays no attention to the chickens and one that would certainly kill one if given the chance. They are both bird dogs, so I'm sure Jake would be proud of his kill and bring it to me for a reward. As much as I reprimand him for harassing the birds, he keeps right on doing it.
sad.png

Thanks everyone for your kind words
smile.png
We have decided to the the dog - one more chance. This was more of a "communal" decision LOL
roll.png
so I'm still going to be more vigilant than usual and of course if we find the dog chasing or showing unusual interest in the birds again this will be forcefully discouraged. In the event of another mauling the dog will be sent to the pound.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom