peep peep from SW Washington

lightningcc

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 6, 2014
Hi there. Thanks for all the advice as I got started this summer with my own chickens. I have 5 Black Australoup and had 5 Silkies, but 4 ended up being roosters, so I gave 2 away. so I have 2 Silkie roosters and one hen. and my little Silkie hen just hatched a baby. I only left her 2 eggs and it looks like the second one is a dud. anyways, it's all very exciting and I'm looking forward to sharing with you all. Thanks!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry you ended up with so many roosters. You should give away all of them but one, and get some more hens to go with that one roosters as the recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you joined us.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community!

Congrats on the chick hatch! Silkies make such good mommas.

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom