Peep pipped 12 hours ago, and now leg is in front of face

alynyc

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 5, 2014
We are now on day 22 of our incubation. Started with 11, 2 never germinated, 1 died a week ago or so (I think), and 5 have hatched so far.

One started pipping last night (about 12 or 13 hours ago) and hasn't really been zipping. The hole is a little larger this morning, but now it's leg is in front of it's face over the hole. Is this normal? I have scoured the internet and cannot find much about "leg in front of face" (actually, if you google search with these terms and either chick or peep, you get some very unrelated results...)

I'm a nervous nelly, and I'm sorry for posting so many questions. I read this post https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching and definitely do NOT want to assist it (I know, you are really almost never supposed to assist!! I get it! :), but I also don't want the little baby chick to die. Please, don't worry, I will NOT be taking any drastic ill-fated attempts to help it after only 12 hours, I just like to be prepared and informed...

Has anyone seen this before? is it normal? should I just stop worrying about it?

Attached are two pictures (best I could do, given the position of the egg in the incubator)

Thanks (again and again!) for any advice or info!

I'm sorry, I can't tell much from the pics. Keep an eye on the little one and if it doesn't make progress over the next 12 hours you should consider assisting it a little. You will probably only need to remove a little of the shell, so it can move freely and do the rest.

Back
Top Bottom