1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

peep problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by milliefleur, Sep 14, 2011.

1. milliefleur

milliefleur Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    i had a mille fleur d'uccle peep hatch out about 12 hour ago and it wasn't walking right figured it is because it just hatched out. but i got home from work and it is still not walking right. when it tries to stand it stand with it leg spread apart. it also lays that way to, it just asks like it is on ice. i have it on news paper in the warm draw. i don't know but it don't seem normal, or is it still pretty young and not able to walk around that well yet? or is it something wrong with it? when it popped out of the egg i notice a small amount of blood at its butt to. i never was there to watch them hatch out so i don' t know if that is normal or not. if there is something wrong what can i do for the little one. im just hoping the it just because he is still very young. if you want a pic i can try and get one of the peep and maybe it will help.

2. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Send me pictures, did you say it's on newspapers??

3. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    Quote:yes i did

4. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    You have to get him off the newspaper, put paper towels down, the newspapers are to slippery and he doesn't have the strength to grip it yet. Paper towels works wonderfully, if he stays on the newspaper chances are he will get spraddled. Then you have another issue.. Which is sounds like he maybe starting..

5. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    here are some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Yep, he's starting the first picture you can see his legs are starting to spread, you have to get him off that newspaper, put paper towels or napkins down, even toilet paper will work for now, in about 3 or 4 days he will start to get strength in his legs, but for now get something that is not smooth like newspaper, even a towel will work or wash clothes.. he needs to be able to grip the floor. The second pic you can see his not using his toes so he's sitting on his legs to be able to grip but that's going to cause future problems for you..

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  7. milliefleur

Aug 14, 2011
    Danville PA
    Quote:thank you i went and did that right away. if he does get spraddled can it be fixed? he seems to like the paper towels aot better thank you very much and im shore he thanks you to. im pretty new with incubating so thanks.

8. Lacrystol

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    Yes you can fix spraddle, Hopefully we caught it in time and you won't need it. Just keep an eye on him for a couple of days, his little legs should get stronger then he'll be able to walk a lot better and on newspapers. but for now keep him on the paper towels.... His' adoreable by the way..

9. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

i use the rubber type shelf liner that they sell at walmart (the kind with the holes in it).. it's easy to clean and chicks can get really good traction on it.. helps with minor cases of spraddle leg and also prevents it.. here are a couple of links in case you do have to deal with spraddle leg

http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

for more info on leg and foot issues:
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

scroll down to "Leg Hobbles to treat Splayed Leg"

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have a 21 week old millie roo that had splay legs. He did great after 3 days with a bandaid around his legs to hold them together. He is now looking after his banty girls and some of the bigger girls too, to the dismay of my big roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by