peeper questions

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sphynxcrazy, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Sphynxcrazy

Sphynxcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    I have golden sexlink pullets and a few easter eggers. 3 month old. I have always had problems with golden sexlinks pecking and killing each other, no matter what. room, protein, boredom, you name it ive basically tried it. I was told to debeak them, by barely getting into the quick cauterizing , but i just couldn't do it to those week old chicks.

Anyway, I want to try some peepers. I think i like the pinless type. So are pinless just as good as the ones with pens? i don't really like the idea of the pin going through there nose.

Will the peeper clip thing kind of cut in to the nose?
    How long do they stay on?
    Do they work well?
    Are the economy ones just as good?

If someone could answer my question my tomorrow morning that would be great. I am going to get some off ebay possibly and try< so i would like to knop before i order. Thanks BYC!!!!!

ps. for protein, would elk hamburger be okay? The feed is vegitarian, and mice don't dare to go in the coop....thanks again!

2. Sphynxcrazy

Apr 11, 2012
    bump. what about the ones with the c clip?

3. Sphynxcrazy

Apr 11, 2012
    Bump again. If someone could at least answer these questions below that would be great!

How long do they stay on

What type. Pinless pin, c clip? Thanks!!!!!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can't help as I've never used them, but I've never had a problem with any breed persistantly pecking each other. I know you say you've tried ways to manage, but IMO chicken behaviors can almost always be changed by different management practices. How much room do you have? What are you feeding? More info could help. Or, if you're just positive the golden sex links are going to peck each other, sell them and get another breed. I wouldn't keep a specific breed I felt was a problem.

The elk burger is absolutely toxic to chickens! You must not feed it to them under any circumstances, you must pack it in a freezer box and overnight it to ME!!!!! I love elk!

Seriously, it will be fine and give them a nice boost of protein. If you run out *or send it to me, send it to me* lots of folks do fine with dried cat food.

5. Sphynxcrazy

Apr 11, 2012
    Next time I get pullets again I will probably get a different breed. Lots of people I have talked to say their gls are the same way.

I don't remember how big the run is, but at least 30 hens with room for more. Even with 18 i had at one time they were killing each other off.

Feed, is a pullet developer the mill makes 17% protein all vegitable ingredients, or something like that. Also organic grain as I get it free from family. It's usually the cracked dirty stuff they can't sell, but great for chickens.

I can't sell right now 1. Because everyone that thought chickens were great and groovy don't want to buy feed all winter so they are selling/giving them away so I wouldn't get what I put into them back. .2. I can't start new chicks right now, as I need these to start early this spring do I don't loose customers.

About the elk, you would love this elk! Farm raised eating all that leafy green alfalfa, delicious! My grandfather started out going to raise elk for hunts, but their his pets now. We eat one every now and then. He has a heard of 2-250. (Idaho of course!). this elk was just a bit chewy. if you really wanted some, we could arrange something for a cheap price. Not the chewy meat the chickens are getting of course!

If you need more info about the chickens let me know. I need to go to bed....

6. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    Your problem is not uncommon. Chickens are cannibalistic creatures... Unfortunately once it starts it tends to spiral out of control as everyone turns on each other. Space, boredom, and genetics and many other reason play a role. Free ranging, sprinkling cat food on the ground for extra protein and salt, red lights and no pick spray may help.

7. Sphynxcrazy

Apr 11, 2012
    I had 8 gsll that came out of slc Utah that my local hatchery ordered in because they were done hatching. I don't know if it had something to do, with having a hen raise them or what, but they were never canablistic. Those 8 plus a few others all lived in peace together for a couple years. Compared to the local hatcheries stock much better. This time I ordered from privett hatchery. They seem like good birds.

When I finally turned their their heat lamp off that helped the pecking a little, but then they wouldn't roost. That was 3 weeks ago, now less than ten still don't roost.

I was just going to get a salt block and crush up. That's what a hatchery guy told me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by