PEEPERS/BLINDERS

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kawram, Feb 19, 2009.

1. kawram

kawram New Egg

Jun 14, 2008
    SW PA
    I have a problem with pecking did the anti peck stuff, bag balm, blue kote, and adding hay, oats as well as some other thing to give them a better diet plus give them some thing to do. These helped but not enough and going to try the peepers/blinders. How well do they work, pin or no pin, any trick to putting them on, any problems using them? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    I put them on my two pluckers. I got the pinless peepers; they're very inexpensive and will come off if the chicken gets hung up on something (which I think is much better than hanging from the nostrils). They were easy to put on; they're plastic so they softened up in hot water. I just did it by hand. They haven't come off and after the first few minutes the girls seemed to get along just fine. I think it's a reasonably humane method because they can still live with the flock and "be chickens" but can't hurt the others.

3. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I've never used them on chickens but they work well on pheasants.

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I've truly never had this issue other than a few unruly ones. Is it flock wide or just a few? If it were just a few, I personally would rehome them.

If it's all of them, I'd take a hard look at everything including if they have enough space, etc. (I'm sure you've probably done this already, though.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by