Peepers - does entire flock need to wear them?

boogiedog

Songster
9 Years
Apr 19, 2010
Oakland hills, CA
Hi,
I searched and didn't find this question addressed specifically - I have a flock of younger hens, ranging from about 3 months to 6 mos. Some have started laying. I have been noticing some hens getting their tail feathers pulled out (fortunately no bleeding, but lots of bald butts) and have identified a major perpetrator. I put pinless peepers on her yesterday (yes, she is quite upset). Do I need to put on my entire flock of 29 (so that those with them won't get them pecked off) or can I just put on the offenders? I worry that the few that wear them may get them pecked off, or worse, may get picked on themselves. What experience have people had with them? Do they need to wear forever or can I remove after a few months and see if the behavior has abated? Any and all suggestions/experiences welcomed! (I am expanding my run size, have added flock blocks, outdoor perches and tons of "stuff" for them to do to try and eliminate boredom as well....)

I had them put on all my chickens when I did it. Was only going to put them on the few culprits but then the other chickens were pecking at the ones who had them on, so just did it on all of them! If you pm me, I do still have mine, I would mail them to you (I think there are 10 of them).

We put them on some, but not all, of our birds. Those who were doing the picking got peepers. One issue that we had was that they didn't seem to stay on the Easter Eggers. Their beak/nostril spacing is slightly different and they would just shake their heads and the peepers would fly off.
We have endless picking problems with some of the birds in that flock, so they still are wearing the peepers months after first applied. The other group doesn't pick at all, so far.
fl.gif

Thanks Dora'smom - really helpful info. Please let me know if when/if you take off the peepers the behavior has stopped. I am hopeful that with a young flock like mine I can break the habit and ultimately not need to keep them on the birds. I suspect one or two more of my 29 will end up with them on. Makes me feel bad, but the picking has to stop! I may try keeping them on a few months and removing and see how it goes...

Back
Top Bottom