Peepers now 5 weeks old and starting to be Peckers - how to curb?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by limabean, Jun 14, 2011.

1. limabean

limabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    They seem to like me well enough, me being the bringer of food. But they peck at my hands when I reach into their cage - whether because they think my hands have food or out of some attempt to dominate me, I don't like it! How do I nip this in the bud while they are young, not only showing them that I am the boss but discouraging attempts to usurp me?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Keep in mind that beaks are the only thing chickens have to explore the world with - no hands or paws for grabbing. If it really bothers you, you can take your index finger and 'peck' back gently, but they have no ill intent.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Are they actually biting with an open beak or are they just scratching or pecking at your hand? Chickens peck at everything as they have no hands. So they will feel the textures and such with their beaks. Beaks can be as sensitive as your finger tips. I doubt at this age they are attempting domination. The pecking at your hands I don't think you can control. But if they are actually biting you, you could try to distract them each time they bite by picking them up and then maybe they will associate being picked up with the biting and stop.

4. limabean

Sep 28, 2008
    You're probably right, they are just pecking not biting. Often the target is my gold ring...mmmm, shiny!

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Ahhhh....there you go! That ring needs to go! [​IMG]

6. limabean

Sep 28, 2008
    Quote:I am not much of a jewelery wearer, it's just a nod to my common law partner who has lost his corresponding ring, so I certainly could set it aside at times! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by