Peeping at day 18?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MamaMarcy, Oct 26, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Is peeping possible at day 18? I keep thinking I hear my 18 day old (almost 19) mix peep...it's probably my imagination.

2. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    i've had chicks hatch on day 19. and day 20.

actually, rarely, in my own personal experience, do chickens hatch on day 21.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had chicks hatch on day 18 a couple of times. It was during the summer and the eggs were stored in a warm room so they may have started to develop early.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I doubt it is your imagination. There are several things that can cause eggs to hatch early. The best known one is that the average incubation temperature is just a tad too high, but improper storage, heredity, humidity, size of eggs, and who knows what else can also contribute.

Hopefully you are in lockdown with the humidity raised. Just go about your business and don't look at the incubator too much. No more often that once every five minutes is about right. And enjoy the experience.

5. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i have 2 eggs hatching right now and its day 18 for them for some reason this happenes to me when i hatch smaller breeds and eggs and when i have bigger breeds and eggs they go past 21 days maybe i am doing somthing wrong but the chicks seem ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by