Peeping but no pipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fatsu, Mar 22, 2012.

1. fatsu

fatsu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    I was checking the incubator this morning and noticed I have egg that is peeping but has no pips on it. Is this normal. Will the little guy be ok or do you think he may run out of air since there is no pip

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The normal hatching sequence is that the chick internal pips, which means it punctures the air sac. Later, it external pips, then it eventually zips and finishes hatching. Also part of the hatching process the chick learns to breathe air instead of living in a liquid environment, dries up blood vessels it no longer needs and absorbs the blood, and absorbs the yolk. That is a lot of work. It may even take a break occasionally and just rest.

Some chicks do a lot of this preparatory work between internal pip and external pip. These usually zip pretty soon after external pip. Some wait until after external pip to do a lot of this. These worry us because it takes so long and we can see that they have pipped. Some even zip before they have totally finished everything.

It's possible a chick can't get past any one of these stages, but the majority work it out OK. If you try to help a chick to hatch before it has absorbed the yolk and dried up the blood vessels, you can kill it. I find the best thing to do is to do nothing. If you try to help, you are much more likely to do harm.

3. fatsu

Jul 3, 2010
    I tend to give them 24 hours after I see the external pip before I start worrying. I've just never noticed and peeping non pipped egg. Your explanation was excellent and we'll just have to wait it out. Thanks

4. fatsu

Jul 3, 2010
    Poor little chick didn't make it. I cracked the egg open to find it already passed. However the chick had a severely deformed beak and skull so I think it was just nature taking it course.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm sorrry to hear that but I agree. It was nature taking its course. Some of them just aren't meant to make it.

6. fatsu

Jul 3, 2010
    His beak was horribly bent so I imagine that was why he couldn't pip out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by