peeping chickies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thebanthams, Dec 27, 2011.

1. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Do chickens always peep before they hatch? My eggs are due to hatch anytime. I am not hearing anything. Is that normal? [​IMG]

2. lynnR

lynnR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Foula, Shetland
    I've always heard cheeping before hatching but I've only hatched 3 incubator broods and 3 batches under broodies. If you make cheepy or clucky noises it will encourage them to start if they're ok. You'll notice that the first eggs almost always take longer to hatch from pipping than the last eggs. This is because when the first chicks hatch they make a lot of noise. This then makes the others hurry up before the hens mothering instinct kicks in and she decides to leave the nest.

3. sfh11

sfh11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    Greenwood, Arkansas
    Quote:Sounds reasonable and it's always good to have a lot patience at this time. Hope all turns out good for you.

4. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    Sometimes I hear a little peeping before external piping, but not always. And usually a lot after until hatching. No worries, just sit back and enjoy. [​IMG]

Sharon

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Sometimes you may hear peeping and other time not. Don't worry if you hear them peeping or not.

6. lynnR

lynnR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Foula, Shetland
    Don't be too quick to give up on eggs that haven't hatched. Blaze, my Muscovy, had been sitting for 35 days due but nothing had happened so I let her sit and sit. On day 53 I thought there's no way they'll hatch now and removed the eggs. I always break eggs that haven't hatched. The first egg was rotten, next had a hlf formed duckling and the third egg had a dead duckling that looked almost ready to hatch. I was gutted when out of the fourth egg came a live duckling. I quickly took the remaining eggs back to the duck but I was too late. A week later the eggs were all cold and the duck back with her buddies. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    tomorrow will be 25th day , still waiting.....[​IMG]

8. lynnR

lynnR Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2011
    Foula, Shetland
    Chicken eggs? Incubator or broody? How many in total? I would candle them and hold your ear to check for movement. Smell each one to see if any are rotten. If still not sure you could resort to opening one egg if they're not valuable and you have enough left. Becareful because if it is rotten they go with a bit of a pop and really do stink. [​IMG]

9. thebanthams

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    yes chicken eggs. Theres a full body inside, but we could not feel movements.[​IMG] I read in a website the longest they can go hatching is 28 th day then I will quit. [​IMG] I do not want to open and look inside. I am not brave. Maybe someone else will look at it for me. I did try my hardest with correct temps and humidity. But still dont understand what went wrong !. I am going to try again later. But this time I read some where about DRY incubating. Not excactly sure what it mean ! I guess keep in lights on with NO water for 18 days then add humidity? is that how they do it ? any one knows? Thanks for all your help !!

10. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    Quote:Today is the 23 day for me. I don't know. I candled and they ARE Alive, but NO pipping, rocking, or peeping. and these are LF eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by