Peeping ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sns26, Jul 27, 2014.

1. sns26

sns26 In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    So I have 4 12-day old ducklings, and just recently they have started peeping for no reason. They let me know when they need food or something, but they now peep even when everything's okay. They have water, food, heat, and they're with each other. When I go back to check on them, they stop peeping, and then fove minutes after I walk away, they start again! Any idea why this is and how to fix it?

2. luvmypets

luvmypets Songster

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    They have imprinted on you and they need your company.

3. sns26

sns26 In the Brooder

Jul 7, 2014
    So do I need to be around them all the time? They don't peep constantly—only for intervals at a time.

4. luvmypets

luvmypets Songster

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Ducklings sometimes get loud. I dont think its a big deal.

5. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Songster

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    To them you are their mother. When a puppy strays away from its mom it howls, when a cat strays away it mews, when you leave the ducks peep. Lol I wouldn't worry about it they will get used to it. :)

6. Amykins

Amykins Crowing

May 11, 2013
    Mine hasn't yet. :p She's got a good set of lungs for such a tiny duckling! I can't even go to the bathroom without her shrieking her head off. Poor thing. About what age do they stop this behavior?

7. Gatsbysmum

Gatsbysmum Chirping

Jul 27, 2014
    Duckies just peep to peep most of the time, but if they get especially frantic when you leave their range of sight, it just means that they don't want you to leave and are nervous when you leave them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by