Peeping egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kathyirene, Jun 23, 2016.

1. kathyirene

kathyirene New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    I got a few chicken eggs in the incubator and one is peeping but no hole and its been that way all day. Is their anything i could do to help it?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Sounds like it's internally pipped but not yet externally pipped. It'll pip the outer shell once it starts to run out of oxygen in the air cell - it's the higher carbon dioxide concentrations that trigger the pip.

3. kathyirene

kathyirene New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    Thank you for helping me Worried about the chick

4. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You're welcome :) If the peeping becomes fainter or it doesn't externally pip within 24 hours you can very carefully make the external pip for it - when I do this I use a very small drill bit to carefully make the hole. Candle first though - you want to do this into the air cell or you can nick a vein and cause the chick to bleed out. I usually do it at the top of the air cell.

But yours will probably pip on its own so this will likely not be necessary :)

5. kathyirene

kathyirene New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    The drilling sounds very scary for me. I hope it does it on its own.

6. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

Oh goodness, I should have stated not with a drill! Lol, sorry, that would be scary. No, just hold it in your fingers and gently twist it back and forth. If it comes to it, there's an excellent example of what I'm talking about shown and described in this excellent article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

The author calls it a 'safety hole'.

7. kathyirene

kathyirene New Egg

Jun 23, 2016
    Ohhh thanks lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by