1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peeping for winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HDchicks, Sep 15, 2016.

1. HDchicks

HDchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2015
    West Middletown Ohio
    Hello [​IMG]All! Currently we have a water both in the run and the coop. Was wondering if we keep a heated water dispenser in the coop alone will that be sufficient for our girls?

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Not sure the size of your coop? Winter temps? Do you run heat for the coop during winter?

I ll just tell you what works for me in North Central Alberta...Brrrrrr!

I have a well ventilated, insulated Coop that is 12x12...I run a heat lamp once the temps really drop in the fall...My water never freezes in my coop...I feed and water them inside the coop all year long..Others only feed and water outside in the run...
    Do what feels right for your set up...

Good luck

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Should be fine, as long as they can access it all day.

Is there plenty of space in the coop? With bad weather, they tend to spend more time inside and you need to be mindful of space.

4. HDchicks

HDchicks Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2015
    West Middletown Ohio
    This is our set up, they will have access to the run during the day.[​IMG]

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Coop is on the small size from what I can see. Keeping water clean might be a challenge. I'd put it in the run, unless you have a compelling reason to put it in the coop. My birds that have raised coops like that only go in to lay and sleep, the rest of the time is out in the run.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by