peeping-How much blood is OK??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ivoryhoof farm, Jun 14, 2008.

1. ivoryhoof farm

ivoryhoof farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    PHX, AZ
    The two eggs I took inside today after their Mom left the nest are pipping! I have them in a very warm spot but one has some fresh blood. How do I know that they are in the correct position? How much blood is OK? All the other chicks have been born under the hens so I haven't had paid as much attention to them.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If the eggs have pipped on their own and there is blood there isn't much you can do about it. Keep the temps at 100 degrees and leave them alone. They will rock and roll and move around a bit.

Sometimes even in an incubator we get bloody hatches. HATE that!

What you are seeing is the blood weeping from the shell membrane. The chick is still connected to that - like a baby and a placenta. Hopefully they will make it out fine but may be weak for a day or two.

As the yolk is the last thing they absorb - the area on their body that is like a 'bellybutton' may not be closed. Try not to mess with it and give them 24 hours in a warm safe place to sleep and allow the place to close and heal.

Don't let other chicks pick or peck at those places either or they can bleed out and die.

Good luck! Good hatching vibes going out your way.

3. ivoryhoof farm

ivoryhoof farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    PHX, AZ
    At 4 am She wasn't doing real well. I know it was a humidity issue. It was too dry. Our house is cold because of the A/C. I had them in a draft free hallway in a basket under a heating pad with a thermometer- very risky- too risky- but it was worried that to much moisture would make them cold. They have been under a hen in a 100 degree plus coop.

At that point I felt I had no other choice, did not think she'd make it, it seemed to me that the shell membrane was hardening so much that she was stuck. I took a very warm very damp washcloth and wrapped her in it. I helped her out of the shell, thank goodness she is here and very active today, no blood! Many lessons learned here thank you.

I'm referring to her as a she please be a she! My daughter named her Pyrena- the fiery one the other one who is (hopefully) a girl is Andrea - strong.

This was my first time dealing with chicks hatching without a hen. I like the natural way better:)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by