1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peeping inside egg, Mama won't sit anymore!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chik'nGrl, May 23, 2011.

1. Chik'nGrl

Chik'nGrl New Egg

May 6, 2009
    My Broody hen hatched 3 chicks Sat and Sunday and has 2 more to go, unfortunately, she has no interest in these unhatched eggs now that the chicks have arrived!
    I can NOT for the life of me get to her sit back on those 2 eggs. she keeps kicking them out of the nest and just sitting on the babies.
    I can hear the one peeping inside the egg!! Is there anything I can do? We don't have an incubator only a heat lamp. Will they continue to hatch under just the heat lamp? What about humidity?
    HELP!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That's natural for a broody, to abandon remaining eggs in order to raise chicks. People have tried several "emergency incubators" on here, with a fair amount of success, I think. I believe I'd put them on a moistened heating pad on low, or some similar arrangement, and cross my fingers.

If you get chicks from this, you should be able to slip them under her at night when the others are sleeping. Good luck!

3. sugarjax06

sugarjax06 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Lancaster, CA
    You could try removing the hatched chicks and putting in a brooder so the only thing she has left to sit on is the eggs. Then when all have hatched, add the first babies back under her (at night)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by