Peeping inside egg, Mama won't sit anymore!

Chik'nGrl

Chirping
10 Years
May 6, 2009
My Broody hen hatched 3 chicks Sat and Sunday and has 2 more to go, unfortunately, she has no interest in these unhatched eggs now that the chicks have arrived!
I can NOT for the life of me get to her sit back on those 2 eggs. she keeps kicking them out of the nest and just sitting on the babies.
I can hear the one peeping inside the egg!! Is there anything I can do? We don't have an incubator only a heat lamp. Will they continue to hatch under just the heat lamp? What about humidity?
HELP!

That's natural for a broody, to abandon remaining eggs in order to raise chicks. People have tried several "emergency incubators" on here, with a fair amount of success, I think. I believe I'd put them on a moistened heating pad on low, or some similar arrangement, and cross my fingers.

If you get chicks from this, you should be able to slip them under her at night when the others are sleeping. Good luck!

You could try removing the hatched chicks and putting in a brooder so the only thing she has left to sit on is the eggs. Then when all have hatched, add the first babies back under her (at night)?

Back
Top Bottom