Peeping started..........what next

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chewyboots, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Chewyboots

Chewyboots New Egg

Nov 10, 2012
    Hi everyone. It is the end of day 16 and i could hear some peeping tonight...is it too early for peeping?
    Do I still keep turning them for 2 more days? should I raise the humidity now?

HELP!

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

First of all [​IMG]

If you were absolutely sure there was peeping, then yes you should go into lockdown (turn up humidity and stop turning eggs) But it is very unusual for there to be any peeping until day 18 or 19. Sometimes I think I hear peeps, but it's my mind playing tricks on me. So unless you are positively sure you heard peeping, I would just leave them alone till day 18. You can hold eggs up to your ear, tap them gently, peep, and if they respond, then you know they are peeping for sure. Good luck.[​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

I've heard of eggs "cheeping" 2 days before hatching and I've had a hen who hatched almost all of the 37 eggs we let her hatch in total (she sat 3 times) on day 18. Go ahead and lockdown and keep us posted!

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Mine are peeping this morning (very excited) on day 20. I saw them wiggle on day 18 and so went into early lockdown in case they were internally pipping. Silly goobers.

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    x2

6. Chewyboots

Chewyboots New Egg

Nov 10, 2012
    Well since this is new to me I had decided to keep status quo and turning the eggs today but I have increased the humidity to 60-65.
    I had not heard any pipping since the initial 5-10 mins and there has been no zipping. if I hear any more tonight I will lockdown it is the end of day 17 right now.
    Did I mention these are Amreicana eggs? Not sure if that makes a difference. Thank you for the advice....I truly am a newbie at this....lol

7. Chewyboots

Chewyboots New Egg

Nov 10, 2012
    Ok so end of day 18....they are now under lockdown.....I hate the waiting...I wish they would do something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sit on your hands! Go read a book or watch TV or something. I know how nerve wrecking this can be. [​IMG] They are probably busy getting ready to hatch in there, hence to cheeping. My eggs were usually quiet before they hatched, but when I was really worried I'd sometimes hold one against my ear and I could hear the little one pecking the shell inside. Hatching's hard work.

9. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Your temps could have been a bit high to cause this, so I would check them befoe next hatching.....

Curious if you candled before u put them into lockdown to see if any had internal pips...... I never heard one peep before it did an internal pip, thinking how could they as they are in fluid and not breathing yet? so if you candled you may have seen who pipped internally (sorta looks like a triangle sticking up and moving if still alive.....OR the entire shell looks filled as apposed to seeing that empty air cell...

IF they did pip and are still alive and its been so long, perhaps you should put a pin hole in the top of the shell CAREFULLY with a tiny tiny CLEAN drill bit so they get oxygen.... I know helping a chick sounds early at the actual day yours are at, but it could be heat issues throughout.... I actually just helped a lady in the same situation locally and walked her through over the telephone, in the end she waited too long to put that air hole in for it and it died from lack of Oxygen.

Its a real hard call to say when and when not to help.... Individuals, Cost of eggs and incubator issues has ALOT to do with this decision...... One that is EXTREMELY hard to say "yes, go ahead and help"!! READ READ READ!

ALL OF MY NOTES ARE THROWN IN AN ARTICLE https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

SCROLL DOWN UNTIL YOU SEE THIS LOCK DOWN on 18th day: LOCK DOWN = i WOULD COPY PASTE FOR YOU BUT ITS alot OF INFO! gOOD LUCK
    AND if you do assist.... reminder IT TAKES TIME LIKE AN ENTIRE 24 HRS TO ASSIST A CHICK! ONCE YOU HAVE CLEARED BREATHING LET THEM ALONE AND ONLY WET EVERY 2 HRS THEY WILL TELL YOU WHEN THEY ARE READY! THEY CHIRP LIKE LOUD!!!! LOUD!! AND MOVE MOVE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by