Peeping Tom at the hen house.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ozark_chickies, Sep 21, 2011.

1. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    My hen house is an old building, built sometime in the 1930's. It has a window, and a homemade wood door of planks. A few of these planks have knot holes , that have perfect views of the nest boxes. I find myself peaking through the holes a few times a day, looking for hens on the nest. I also use the window. [​IMG] I'm spying on my chickens, trying to figure out who has started laying, because I have a flock of young pullets.

Is this acceptable human behavior, or am I obsessing?

2. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    [​IMG]

Trully, you are one of us! [​IMG]

3. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I went one further and installed a chicken cam.[​IMG]

4. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    I actually had my husband make me an official peep hole in my coop....It's the only way I can watch without making them all nervous!! Sounds so creepy... [​IMG]

5. crazy4spurs

crazy4spurs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    Quote:My husband just ordered me one and will be installing it shortly....with sound and all Wow...even creepier [​IMG]

6. kiweed

kiweed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Murfreesboro TN
    I walk out about 20 times a day just to spy!

7. WriterChick

WriterChick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Maine
    Ooooo, I'd love to get a chicken cam... This weekend we were going to get a baby monitor, but I like the chicken cam idea better - do you watch it on the computer?

No, you are not obsessing. I peek daily to see what my chickens are doing (several times a day, sometimes on the hour). And the first (and second) night they were out in the coop I went out every hour throughout the night to see if they were okay (warm enough, secure, etc), and then worried that because they were so quiet something was wrong. So I opened the door just to make sure and woke everyone up.

Now THAT is obsessing! [​IMG]

8. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    I check often enough that I:

1) noticed my Japanese hen Yoko hanging out and checking the nest box. Hen, but newly adopted - so new for me.
    2) noticed her still hanging out in there
    3) saw her getting a drink of water
    4) went in and got the warm egg

BTW: I called my friend to say that no, no eggs yet. She got an incoming call she had to take. This was after step 1. She called me back about 15 min. later and I got to tell her about my newly found egg! [​IMG] Our first egg from Yoko! I had already taken the picture & sent it to DH by the time my friend called back.

I think it's ECD: eggsessive compulsive disorder [​IMG]

9. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] I'm glad I fit in. I've wondered what my neighbors think when they drive by, and see my head up against the shed door. [​IMG] We've thought about chicken cam too, but for now I have to stick to spying.

10. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's a video from my coop-cam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by