PeePole for inside boy dog owners

bburn

Songster
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Delaware, Arkansas
Went to pay for my DD's dog grooming Thursday. While I was there I looked over and saw this and asked what it was. Seems a lady brought it in and gave it to them in case other people would want one.

It is a PeePole for boy dogs to hike their legs on indoors. Now, I believe in housebreaking dogs but you are not always home on time. And you know that boy dogs will sometimes get excited and really need to go.

My daughter is special needs and lives in independent living with her boy Winston. He is an 8 yo Bichon and a wonderful boy. However, if he is left too long and he hears people outside the apartment he thinks his girl is home and then is ready to get outside and do his stuff. So, he sometimes has accidents. His place of choice is her entertainment center. If he piddles on that the whole thing has to be moved to clean under it. Thank goodness they have tile floors!

So, I went to Lowes and picked up the parts to make the PeePole for Winston!

Thought I would share just in case there are others out there with boy dogs who sometimes make mistakes. Personally I would rather throw away a piddle pad than the entertainment center!!

62714_110_3856.jpg

These are all the parts. Cheaper to buy a longer piece of PVC but then you have to carry it through the store and I already had a long piece to use to make a feeder. Two would have killed someone.
62714_110_3858.jpg

Close up of the green thingy. It is in a different area of the store so I thought a close up was in order. It is some kind of drain thing.
62714_110_3855.jpg

And the PeePole with the piddle pad attached. Now, if you wanted to be special you could put contact paper on the pvc pipe. I did not bother because this PeePole will be put up daily when my DD gets home and put out when they leave to go some place.

Easy as pie!

I know some people litter train their dogs to a box like a cat. I was never much for the puppy pads or newspaper idea because it can encourage peeing on flat items that have fallen to the floor.

I have one of the under the bed storage boxes with a pee pad in it for my female min pins. its great cause i have 2 puppies and they use it... i have to change the pad once a day

I dont find its encouraging them to go on what ever has fallen on the floor they only go in the box and if there is no pee pad in there they look at you with a sense of urgency in their eyes... ummm did you forget something?.. and they wont just go on a pee pad on the floor... they look for the box.

These are great ideas! I was already thinking of getting some pee pads for my chihuahua, as he is not neutered and has a tendency to pee on things to mark them. I am thinking of getting him neutered-----will this help cure the marking, or doesn't it matter since he's already started doing it?

The Peepole will be taken up when she gets home from work. It is only there for 'just in case' and it is needed. She leaves at 715 in the morning and does not get home until 4pm. There are people in and out of the apartments in the daytime and he hears them. They leave the tv on for him on talk tv so he has something to block the noise of people outside. But he occasionly thinks they are coming to let him out!!!

I would rather a dog peed on a peepole than the entertainment center.

Winston was not trained with newspaper or piddle pads either one. He was crate trained and that will stir up a hornets nest I am sure. But I worked not far from our house and went home every day at lunch and let him out to do his business and then hang out with me during lunch. Then my DD would get home from school around 330. Now that they are in independent living and he is getting older and he is in the apartment from morning til late afternoon he needs a little more. I don't want him locked in the bathroom or in the crate. He really is good enough without that. He slept in his crate until he was a year old at night also.

But I can't control who is outside making noise and making him think he is going to get to go outside.

A peepole will solve this problem. Maybe others have the same problem too......

Quote:
Depends on the dog. If I were to take him anyplace where there is another dog besides my house or DD's apartment he would mark his territory. He had to be neutered before going into independent living with my DD. He fathered three litters of Bichon puppies before that. I think....IMHO...that dogs that are not allowed to breed and then are neutered might not do the marking. But I don't know that for sure. I always thought that was the reason he still did it.

But to have a place they can go when needed....would rather have that than them going all over the place.

And with a little tiny dog like yours....why not??

This is a pretty cool idea, though I doubt my husband will go for it. He is all for teaching dogs to not go in the house period, and our other two do not on tile but if there was carpet or a floor rug, the Corgi would pee on it in 15 minutes. I have the kitchen gated during the day so while we are away, the dogs stay in there. I think if I keep all soft items off the kitchen floor, maybe everyone will be okay. I feel if I introduced a pee pad, it would encourage the Corgi to pee whenever she wants to and I do not want her to start that again.

You are probably right Smokey73.....Winston did not pee inside for years. All this started when he could hear people outside.....AND when DD had a staff that would not bring her home from work but go all over the place and finally show up at 8-9 at night. So, he was left a very long time without a chance to get out. Now that I have that problem solved...fired the hide....she has staff that understands that not only are they responsible for my DD but for her dog also and making sure they are there to keep him on a schedule.

Regardless, he was broke from being housebroke and I would rather he had a place to pee than pee on the entertainment center. This is a solution to a problem.....certainly not instead of potty training.

If he goes on the peepole hopefully that will solve our problem!

Crate training is generally the first thing dog trainers suggest. I don't know too many people against it and those that I do know have untrained dogs that get themselves into a lot of trouble regularly. Not saying there aren't people with well trained dogs who are against using a crate but I haven't run in to any yet. That length of time in a crate is a bit long though. There are a few things I'd try to do first but if you want to go straight to using the pole I'd probably try to put some type of container around the pee pad so it isn't just on the floor. Even if it's a really low sided container that he can pee over without standing in it.

all 4 of my dogs are crate trained... but for some reason my min pins are hard to house train (my other dog is a toy fox terrier)

2 of my 3 min pins will not poop outside

all 3 of them will not go out when its raining

and if i am in the kitchen i cant hear them scratch at the back door to go out so the poo box sits there "incase"

Back
Top Bottom