Peeps Leg Stretching

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Russo's Roost, May 9, 2009.

1. Russo's Roost

Russo's Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Morrisville VT
    I am a newbie, 3 golden comets and 3 bard rocks, I am hoping to add some Rhode Island Reds soon. The girls are in a cardboard box with shavings covered with paper towels. They are 3 days old today. I have noticed them stretching their legs almost straight behind them a times, is this normal?
    One of the Golden Comets (tinkerbell) has pasty butt but I think I have that under control, how long before her bare butt is covered with something, hair or feathers?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Do they stand up with their leg stretched out and their wing stretched out? If so, they are just stretching. Nothing to worry about. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    they stretch their wing and leg at the same time??? LOL, that's them being chicks....

4. Russo's Roost

Russo's Roost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Morrisville VT
    They don't stretch the entire body, they stretch ine keg at a time straight out behind them paralell to the ground, wings are too small yet to tell if they are involved in the stretch.

5. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    its just streatching no worrys

6. Clay in MS

Clay in MS Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Mendenhall, MS
    My Golden Sebrights (nearly 2 weeks old) have been doing this quite a bit. They stretch legs and wings at the same time. Probably has something to do with them growing so fast. I wouldn't worry.

7. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    Mine do that all the time when they get up after taking a long nice nap. [​IMG]

8. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    It's chicken Tai Chi, they do it for their health.

9. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    we keep laughing that with every little leg stretch the get a little bit taller! they are growing!

tai chi... ohmigosh that it hilarious.....

10. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep....chicks stretch...just like any animals do....I wondered the exact same thing when I first got my chicks...thought they were having a problem, [​IMG] till I noticed they all did it ....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by