Peeps - the runt who won't give up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by possumhunter, May 18, 2010.

1. possumhunter

possumhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    Peeps is 3.5 weeks old. He was the last chick in the batch to hatch. And he is the smallest 3.5 week old I've ever seen. He is only 1/3 the size of his other hatch-mates. Along with being tiny, he has lots of other "issues". He seems to get "plugged up" easily, meaning he has a hard time pooping. He has had pasty butt a few times, but sometimes he just struggles during a bowel movement, chirping loudly as if in pain. He sleeps a lot compared to the other chicks. He will act a bit more lively when I feed him some egg yolk. That's about the only time I see him eat. He also sneezes more than the other chicks. It has been a bit dusty in the brooder and that could be the problem. But he has also been getting a crusty nasal area/eyes as well.

I have been just expecting to see him dead every time I look in the brooder, he is just so little and has so many little problems. I have been doing the poly-vi-sol vitamins, hard boiled egg and electrolytes. I feel so bad for him, because he has made it this far, but he just doesn't seem to be getting any bigger or better. Do I just continue to give him time? Is there anything else I can do for him?

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Sorry I can't give you an answer but I wish you and him well. I've always rooted for the under dog....poor baby.

3. drunkdog

drunkdog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Everett
    well since I am no longer alone in not having an answer.....[​IMG] it is your call i feel...as for me I would let him try and fight as long as he is not in any pain or other danger perse....make it his decision [​IMG]....hopefully though someone can come and give you a real answer that means more than moral support sorry

4. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    Sending some good thoughts to "Peeps". My teenie tinies didn't make it past the first week; given that he has made it so far is good news. Sending best wishes and cyber hugs to Peeps your way...

5. possumhunter

possumhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    Oh I must have totally jinxed myself by posting this...I can home from the store this afternoon and Peeps had passed away. Poor little guy made it this long I was really hoping he was going to pull through. [​IMG]

6. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I am so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

7. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    I'm sorry.[​IMG]

8. wfiles

wfiles Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Wyoming
    I know how you feel. We hatched a baby chicks at school and one of them hatched with yolk that hadn't been absorbed. I cut it off because the others were pecking at it. I took her home that weekend with me and took her to a 4 star hotel we went to for my husbands pre deployment conference. I fed her egg yolk and yogurt with a dropper all weekend. After she made it through the weekend I took her to work and back home every night and fed her every 2 hours. I finally got her to eat on her own after 2 weeks. She seemed to actually be doing better after 3 weeks. She was still really small but I had a really sweet Austerlorp that was her friend. Then one day she just died. I have no idea why after that long. I was glad we got to have "Little Black" as long as we did.

9. Fourgirlsoneboy

Fourgirlsoneboy Pullus Parvus

Aug 16, 2009
    West Virginia
    Sorry that your chick died [​IMG]. At least you gave him a chance...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by