Peer pressure in the coop.......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mommato5, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Mommato5

Mommato5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Funniest thing.....my red star started laying first, a month ago. She is a machine and lays EVERY day! Wow! But she refuses to use the nest box and lays under the roost. Ugh! I clean under the roost every day so she has a nice clean place to lay. I figure at least she's laying in the coop! Well, this week our cuckoo Marans laid her first egg! In the nest box!!! :O Shockingly, this girl has laid every day since, also (4 days now)! Well, this morning the red star put her egg in the nest box that the other girl started laying in! LOL "Oh, well, if YOU say that's a good place to lay, I must try it, too!" LOL Granted, the Marans IS the alpha chicken of our group. It cracks me up that the established layer changed where she laid because another girl laid elsewhere! LOL

These chickens are a riot. [​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    In this case peer presure was a good thing [​IMG]

3. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Oh man! Chickens are awesome, aren't they?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:I vote for this as best understatement of the day.... [​IMG]

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    I find it really funny what goes on in the coop! Everyone will lay in the nests but yesterday my EE had one in the run and figured her FAVORITE nest must have been occupied! She must have waited SO long cause she has never done that before! I have seen 2 different hens push others out of their favorite nest or just sit in it WITH other hens! They play musical nests, and only 1 hen will use the third nest! There are plenty to go around! They are SO particular! AND I have one hen, my BA, who will take ALL the eggs from the other nests and put them in hers before she lays! Including the wooden eggs! SHE must tuck them under her wing to move, thats the only way I can think, the sides are steep. If I don't go out before she lays I will have 6-8 real eggs and 2 wooden ones in 1 nest! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by