1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peer pressure?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Whimsical Farming Wife, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Whimsical Farming Wife

Whimsical Farming Wife Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2009
    I have started a little mothering hen project, with 3 Silkies (planning for 6) segregated for hatching eggs. One Silkie hatched a babe (yes- only one of 6!). The chick is around a week old... and now the other 2 silkies have gone broody!!! Yay! Has anyone experienced this before?

2. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    broodiness is extremely contagious, and it spreads like wildfire from coop to coop. Enjoy all of your babies. [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They're jealous silkies. They figure if somebody else is gonna hatch, they should too.

4. Whimsical Farming Wife

Oct 21, 2009
    Actually it's funny you put it like that... they were actually fighting over who got to sit on the clutch that they accumulated together! ... I have since closed their brooding space doors:)

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I think they say that women/girls who live together tend to get on the same female cycle after a while. Something about the hormones.
    Perhaps it works with broodies too!

6. Whimsical Farming Wife

Oct 21, 2009
    I sure hope so! I'll have to aquire more Silkies before this group of hatching starts so that they keep the cycle going!

7. Whimsical Farming Wife

Oct 21, 2009
    By the way... I just have to share how happy I am to have a group of people to 'chicken chat' with! Thanx for everyones input!

8. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I have a Silver Phoenix hen that went broody. We gave her golf balls. She kept brooding and brooding. So we gave her an egg. She kept brooding it, AND her sister joined her on the next. They weren't sharing it, one at a time, both hens are always on the nest at the same time and happy to be there. Problem is they hatched the chick, and keep on brooding the golf balls. Neither one cares about the chick. The box they chose is 2 feet off the ground. So I've taken the chick in.

If broody is truly catchy I really really want one of my cochin's to catch it so that I can put little Libra out there!

Laney

9. Whimsical Farming Wife

Oct 21, 2009
    My 2 silkies were doing the same thing; sitting on the same clutch of eggs at one time. The less dominant lady only managed to steal around 3 or so at a time, but she got the whole clutch when her superior got up for a quick break.
    My 5 year old son commented that they looked like they were sitting at the beach together... I don't really know what he meant, but it was funny:)
    When I seperated each of the silkies into their own enclosed nesting spaces, I gave one the 3 eggs that she managed to steal whenever she could. She stopped sitting on them, and started laying again!? It sounds weird, but I think that she is waiting until she has enough eggs for her clutch before she sits on them... but I don't know if she has the ability to turn it on & off like that!? I am giving her credit anyways, and replacing her infertile contributions with fertile eggs everyday. I am very curious to see what the magic number will be... if any!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by