Peformed my first surgery today. * GRAPHIC PICS* Update pg 2 #20

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Barnyard, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I have a pen of Light Brahma's and a few mutts. Well there pen is right beside my bantam cochin pen. I had a board up against the fence to block the feeder in the cochin pen, from the light brahma's. The board was proped up with another board. Needless to say the board fell over and landed on one of my light brahmas....what I didn't know was there was a bent nail in the board that was proping up the other one. My dd and ds went out to check the chickens before I did and my ds came back in the house to tell me that "there's a chicken with a hole in it". So I go outside to check the chicken and sure enough...she has a huge hole in her left side right under her wing. The only thing I can think of that made it this big, is her trying to get out from under that board and the nail ripping the skin more. I removed the 2 boards out of the pen....totally my fault and I should have payed closer attention [​IMG]
    I was uncertain weither or not the nail made the hole or if the warf rat that is visiting us made it [​IMG] She is still very much alive, but she does have a limp, so I am assuming that the board landed on her in a way to cause that to. It is not broke or dislocated. I checked her over really good and the one hole is the only one I found. I brought her inside and set up my work station unsure at that time what I was going to do. It is alway's easier to just have my dh to put them down if the get injured, but I just couldn't let him to it today [​IMG] I have my flashlight shining it on the wound so I can see it better.....I can see muscle and all....I can also see when she is breathing [​IMG] So I make up my mind to "try" and stich her up. I have wanted to be a Vet for as long as I can remember, but getting married and starting a family was more important to me at the time. Let me tell you I was a nervous wreck when I was getting everything set up to start the "surgery" ...so the Vet idea may be out, lol. I clean the area real good with betadine solution and trim feather's so they want get in my way. I only have regular thread so that is what I used. I had fishing line but it was heavy duty and super thick and I was scared to use that. I know I will have to go back and take the stiches out, but that is ok. My oldest ds held the flashlight so that I could see and we started. She never moved, sit in one spot the hole time. I took before and after pictures but no in between, sorry. After I sowed her up, I cleaned her once more with the betadine and applied neosporin to the wound. I have started her on antibotics and she is resting quietly in a dog crate. I am proud of my self for being able to do this....now I know I can handle it again, "IF" I need to. Here are the pics......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My work area...
    [​IMG]
    The outcome..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you BYC for giving me the knowledge I have to know what to do in a situation like this [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Great job, very neat!!!

3. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Thankyou Wildsky. I am still a nervous wreck.....but it was worth it.

4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] good work I think you did a great job, I would keep a close watch on it and make sure that is does not get red, or hot to the touch, just make sure there is no infection, and I am not sure if chickens might need something like a tetanus shot like when we get an injury with a rusty nail just a thought I am a newbie and not to sure about these things hope all goes well with your chicken.

5. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I'm not sure I understand this picture.... I thought you said a nail made a hole...... this wound is bigger than I expected, looks big as a clementine. I am confused.

6. Barnyard

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:The only thing I can think happened is when the hen tried to get out from under the board the nail would just make a bigger hole, ripping the skin even more. The nail was not sticking straight out, it was bent, so if it stick in the skin that is what happened. She was not under that board last night when I checked on them, so she couldn't have been under there very long. The kids found her this morning at 10am.

The only other option is like I stated in the first post, a warf rat. Although I do not think that is what happened, I guess it is possible.

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Very good!! How is she doing? Drinking at least?

8. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Great job!!!! [​IMG] Thank you for giving me the knowledge of how to do it.

9. the Old Rebel

the Old Rebel Rest in Peace -2011

May 12, 2007
    Hendersonville NC
    I'm not sure how a nail could have made this injury either, but it looks like you did a GREAT job of sewing it up!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Do keep a check on it for heat or redness or any other sign of infection.

Maybe the nail started it and then she picked on it. That could be. Other chickens would pick on it too if they saw it.

Anyway, GREAT JOB and good luck with her!!

Now if I could only get my sweet hen's impacted crop unimpacted....[​IMG]

10. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Nice job! [​IMG]

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by