Peg leg guinea

Beakrr

Chirping
Mar 12, 2019
I have a 4 week old guinea that is a nice, healthy-bodied bird. For whatever reason, it is limping around and standing on one leg. I took it out of the main brooder and moved it to Misfit Island with my two runty chicks and 4 pheasant chicks because it’s like a match of rugby inside the main brooderwith the big ones. I thought it might get some rest hanging out with the smaller birds for a couple days. I watched it for a while this evening and it stands on one leg and even lays down next to the feeder to eat. I examined the foot and don’t see any sign of an external injury. The toes are drawn tightly together, not spread in the Y shape like the other foot. The leg has a full range of motion with the bird complaining. What’s the deal? My wife says to put it in a small container where it can’t move period. I thought I’d see what y’all think first. Thanks!

9EAB3473-9E26-4ABC-826F-252ED9307F91.png
B4C30446-292D-4C08-914B-3DCDA6E4A14C.png
It’s been 2 weeks. Poor guinea is still gimpy. It gets around on one leg ok but I feel bad for it. I free range in the afternoons and I’m afraid this one will be easy pickens should a predator ever show up. I just put this batch in the coop and they’ll stay in there for 2 weeks before they go outside full time. It acts like it’s knee is twisted. I can physically spread the toes out like they are on the good foot, but they don’t stay. The pics show how the foot is full time. It’s not like that just because I’m holding it. If I set her down it’s standing on one leg with the other foot drawn up under her and twitching. I’d feel kind of stupid having a $50 vet bill on a $7 bird, but I don’t want it to be in pain.

Attachments

• B3196AE6-F04A-4335-88DF-36D388D6D699.png
    B3196AE6-F04A-4335-88DF-36D388D6D699.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
Sounds more like perosis which can be caused by a deficiency. Generally you can't fix it once it happens.

Nope. Chick starter. I’ve got 6 other guineas. They are heathy as can be. I’m wondering if this one didn’t get roughed up in the brooder. It was pretty physical in there when they all got to darting around when I would swap out their food/water. I’m not so hung up on how it happened. I’m just wondering if there is a cure. Thanks

What have the temperatures been where you live? I am not familiar with guineas, but is there anything going on with the color difference in the skin on the legs and feet. Is there any chance of some late frostbite?

KY. Sunny and 75 today. They spent the first 7 weeks in my garage with a lamp. I don’t know what’s up with the feet coloration. All 7 guineas have mottled feet colors. I believe they came from a big hatchery in Iowa. Forget the name.
This guinea’s knee (I guess it’s a knee) looks blown out and swollen. I’ve looked in to perosis, but all those cases show a straightening/stiffening of the leg. This leg is permanently tucked under.
It may not matter soon if I don’t catch the big ol’ Fox I saw running around here a couple days ago!! All the girls are locked up in the mean time. No free range for them!

All poultry can suffer from leg bone deformities that may progress to a ruptured hock tendon as they grow. Pictures might be helpful. Have you noticed any pealing of the mottled legs or feet from what I suppose is McMurray Hatchery in Iowa?

Back
Top Bottom