Peg-legged Chicken

KnechtelRanch

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 23, 2012
Our young Light Brahma (Cruella - we have a Disney ladies theme) got frostbite on her feet and hind end. We believe she layed an egg before she was ready. The Farm and Garden store where we got her (and 3 other ladies to rebuild our flock after losing 4 to a weasel or mink) said she was not ready to lay for another 4-6 weeks and just about 10 days after we brought her home she did. Her back end and feet got very wet somehow... we aren't positive how it happened as they were locked up in the coop due to the subzero weather.

Well, we brought her inside, cleaned her up and kept her warm. We did a lot of research on this site, and consulted the Farm store owner, other friends with chickens, and watched her. She has quite the spirit. She keeps eating and drinking well, she's very sweet, alert and talkative. However, now both of her feet have fallen off.

My question is, can chickens really do well with no feet? They have both fallen off just below the knee. I've heard that they can adapt and do just fine. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thank you. I just read that thread. It looks like our little lady will be undergoing the same type of therapy. :) We have to rethink how we give her water, as she keeps nose-diving into it and spilling it or knocking it over.

A heavy waterer can help. The 2 gallon galvanized are good for this, but require a metal heater base to keep thawed in winter. There are also heavy plastic ones that are already wired for heating--just plug in. I use the heated dog bowls, and you can make a cover for the top with drinking ports. The young chickens love to climb and roost on everything, don't they? Good luck with her.

We have a heated waterer in the coop, but for where she is convalescing, we have had the small waterer we used when we had the chicks. It was fine until she actually lost her feet, then she began consistently knocking it over as she is trying to get her balance. We have a water bottle that they can learn to peck at and get water. We are going to try that for her bin.

[/IMG]

Her "treat" is oatmeal with chopped greens and some crushed egg shells. Since she's inside, she has only otherwise been getting layer pellets, cracked corn with a bit of grit.

Last edited:
She looks like she is enjoying the attention and supper. Watermelon is good for providing liquids. Most chickens love it if you can find some this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom