1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pegga' perils

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unbaked pegga, Mar 4, 2017.

1. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    My chickens are my surrogate family. I adore them. Recently I have had 2 problems. My jubilee Orpington hen Blossum, has a recurring upper respiratory problem. (I posted about this several weeks ago). I gave Baytril in their water but after I had given day 5 dose, I looked at my big measuring cup and realized I had been mixing the Baytril in twice as much water as the directions called for. I was uneasy about giving another 10 days at the full dosage, so I stopped and posted here. I gave 5 days of a probiotic in their water. Except for her cough and occasional shaking of her head she seems fine. Eating, drinking and active. So I don't know whether to give another run of Baytril...I can't afford a vet because as a recently retired RN, I have went from $ to about half of the income. I live alone and I can't seem to get her calm enough to give her the injectable Tylan. I tried that last spring and I don't know who was more upset, me or her. I have asked my children, my neighbor and even the guy at the co op, but nobody has time or they don't want to handle a chicken. So last spring I had to take her to the vet, that was before I retired. I clean the coop and run every single day, have sand in the coop and nest boxes with a little straw on top. I change their water every day. They are free range. I am keeping their environment clean. So if this was your pet and with the given limitations, would y'all give another run of Baytril, (All 5 hens would be taking this med as well and surprisingly none of the others have caught this).
    The 2nd problem is Scarlett. She has had diarrhea for 2 or 3 weeks now. Her sister did have it but she is better and none of the others have had it. She has pasty butt really bad. Her stools are brown and more or less liquid. So yesterday I went to our co op and talked to them and they said it was probably coccoidosis. I bought medicine I put in their water daily starting yesterday. . I took up all of their other water. Is there anything else I should be doing? She too seems ok. Eating well, normally active. I had no idea chickens were so delicate. I enjoy them so much but their health can be dicey. Worrisome. Sorry for the long post

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Chickens sure do keep us poor don't they?? Anyway, the respiratory thing - how is she right now? If she has ILT or infectious coryza, she will not be cured. It will recur at times of stress etc. If she is in no distress, I would personally just monitor how she is.
    I'm a bit skeptical of the coccidiosis diagnosis..I would think at least one other hen would be suffering too. Try a dollop of probiotic yoghurt (with live culture) in the feed once/day. Although chickens can process the milk, the cultures may help to calm the diarrhea. Keep us posted please, [​IMG]

3. unbaked pegga

unbaked pegga Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2014
    Mt Juliet Tn
    I had to take soap and water and clean the butt of the little chicken that had the diarrhea so bad. And oh my. She had pooped and it had stuck to her feathers and I guess every time she went I just kept depositing more and more around her vent until it was as big as a lemon. I like to have never gotten it all off of her, and I'm sure I didn't get it all out. I had to cut her feathers where it was so bad. And I just noticed that she is sneezing now too. So, you think I should stop the Coccivet in their water? Lord have mercy

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Well - here I go spending your money....I would take a fecal sample to a vet - they can test for worms and coccidiosis. Once you have those results, things may be clearer. The fecal test should not cost too much. Continue with the Corid for now. Keep her feathers trimmed off and her bum as clean as you can.
    I just read on www.Poultrykeeper.com that chronic infectious bronchitis can cause kidney issues which can indirectly cause diarrhea.
    I'm hoping someone like @Eggcessive or @casportpony will chip in here - they are very helpful and much more experienced than I. Keep us posted please..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by