1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pekin <3 **pictures**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovesduckies, Jun 20, 2011.

1. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i went out today to try to hand feed my pekins some peas and yeah, they weren't having it. [​IMG] they are still not too crazy about me.. [​IMG] but i am able to corner them and catch one! s/he is sweet and lets me hold him/her. i really think it's a boy. his/her name is percy but i might change it to aflac.. i don't like percy for a boy. but anyway here are some pictures [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    cuddles

[​IMG]
    duckie hugs!!!! <3

2. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    ducks are very skittish around people, just give it a while, and keep holding them like you have. Once they get over the whole " anything that catches me will kill me" phase, then they calm down, and you can just walk over to them and pick them up.
    They look happy! [​IMG]

3. carlala_

carlala_ Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Andalusia, AL
    So cute! I have 1 pekin that is still a little skittish around me. It loves a flashlight though and at night will go right where I point it, even to my feet.

4. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    My ducks are silly with me also. They think treats will bite them See silly ducks. I try to pick them up every day even if it's just a few min. before bed

5. ceth_k

ceth_k New Egg

Jun 9, 2011
    Your pekin looked exactly like mine. His so cute.

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    aw, cute pictures! my muscovy are skittish to.. yet during our night time routine of peas in bowl held by me they come over [​IMG] I guess i am mixed i want them to stop freaking out but at the same time i need them to not go up to everything and anyone.. eventual plan to free range so they need some reserve.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  7. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    AAAWEEEE what a sweetie.. Give them some more time. ( secretly hoping you have a pair so you can start using that incubator soon and hatch yourself a baby pekin... )

8. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    Quote:I DO HAVE A PAIR!!!!!! i came on to ask you something too my dear.. (well i'm 99% sure i have a pair. i think that percy is a boy because he sounds different than petunia and percy's name will be changed to aflac if he's a boy!!!)

anyway.. i was outside helping my dad change water today and Alflac's leg was kinda shakey, my mom said it looked like he was standing on one leg.. so i picked him up.. and i don't see any sign of bumble foot at all so idk. what else should i look for? i checked for swelling in his joints and i didn't notice too much of a difference.. what else could be making my baby's leg shake when he walks?

9. rollyard

rollyard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    What about Bai (means white) for a boys name or maybe something here? Aflac is all good though, but not too keen on Percy (sorry to all Percies out there [​IMG]).

Boys should be low "wang wanging" & girls loud "quack quacking" by now. Duckyfromoz will be most helpful with leg issue.

Nice pics, & best of luck (as always) with your new acquisitions [​IMG]

10. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Oh I so have to stay home this weekend so we can catch up on some chat lovesduckies.. AS for the duckies... Do you think he could be afraid of your dad. [​IMG] [​IMG] But on a more serious note- it is only the first time you have noticed it? It could be a few different things- but if its a one off time I wouldnt worry about it. They havent been home with you long and could still be a little nervous. They are also young-so it could have been just a growth thing. Pekins are one of the breeds most likely to have vitamin issues due to their fast growth so you could go ahead and give them some supplements in the water if you are worried. Keep an eye on him though and see if it gets worse or more often as it would be a sign of something more serious.

What a great name site Rollyard- Ive never seen one before giving names from so many different countries.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by