pekin acting odd

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by woods015, Dec 8, 2014.

1. woods015

woods015 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2014
    We have a week old jumbo pekin who seems to be open mouth breathing like a dog. She also shakes her butt up and down. Our Cayuga doesn't do anything like that. Should we be concerned?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Haven't seen a dog 'shake its butt up and down' --- so that description has me stymied. Some kind of spasm? Can you get a video?

At any rate, a chicken or any bird showing respiratory symptoms of any sort is generally a good thing to take very seriously.

Treating without knowing what is is can be counterproductive and even harmful though.

Maybe it's just pain, not respiratory issues.

Too hard to say without further info, sorry.

Best wishes.

3. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Is she too hot? Usually panting in a brooder is due to overheating. The shaking the butt thing, my 4 do it and then poop. Any chance she isn't pooping? Have you checked her vent? I'm sure there are other things but that is what I would check first.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I agree make sure she is pooping, and over heating could be the problem, a week old duckling should be kept at around 80* with a way to get out from under the heat if it needs to. Do these 2 things then post back and tell us if you see any difference.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by