1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pekin and egg questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by veronicasmom, Aug 31, 2009.

1. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Hi,
    New here.
    I am posting because I have a concern about my new Pekin and someone suggested this site.
    So here goes.
    Veronica is a Pekin of unknown age. She appears to be in good health, her eyes are bright, feathers healthy and clean.
    We got her Aug 22, and she's been laying all along. Her eggs are smaller than I would have thought for such a large duck, but they seem normal.
    She layed an egg this am, then this afternoon there were two more, very soft, but fully formed eggs.
    She eats a combination of layer pellets, Blue Seal Grower Cal, has free choice calcium for supplementation and I give them cut up veggies and greens daily.
    What would cause the 3 eggs in one day and should I be overly concerned? Like I said, she's only been here a short time, can this be an adjustment issue?
    I sm very fond of her already and want to make sure she is okay and healthy.
    Can anyone help?
    Thanks in advance.

2. smfamf

smfamf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

You came to the right place. I'm sure several people will be willing to help you with reliable information. Here is my opinion.

She may be a young duck and just starting to lay. If she appears healthy in every other way, I wouldn't wory about it too much. Most ducks start by laying smaller eggs and then they gradually increase in size. My Pekin and Mallard are the same age and they lay the same size eggs daily. The Pekin is about twice the size of the Mallard. Every duck is different. I wish you luck. Ducks are very fun animals.

3. I've never had Pekins but I think this is the third one I have heard of that have laid multiple eggs per day. It always amazes me!! Pekins aren't particularly bred to be an egg laying duck, but obviously there are some out there with incredible potential.
    It would seem that she can't keep up with forming a shell for the eggs that fast. Also it would take a lot of protein to make those eggs. I wonder if it might be helpful to offer her some boiled eggs to replenish her body? People sometimes mix it with applesauce and/or chopped spinach.

Please let us know how this develops.

4. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    Thank you both for your replies.
    I will try the boiled egg thing and someone else told me that I could give her cottage cheese for protein and calcium also.
    That would be great if she is a young duck, we did notice her eggs were smaller than the other duck eggs. Just a little, but surprising for such a huge duck. We got her from a shelter, they had found her running around their cow pasture one morning, so there is no clue as to her age. But maybe this shows she is on the younger side.

5. veronicasmom

Aug 31, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Here is a picture of our girl, Veronica.
    We've had ducks since 2002, but after losing two in 3 weeks, I am becoming neurotic over her! She is so different acting than the others we have had, Blue Swedish, Blue Swedish crosses and Runners.
    So please bear with me when I ask crazy questions. I thought I was a pretty good duck keeper until lately, and I just want her to be healthy and happy. And, of course, I want the same for our Runner drake, Virgil.
    Hope this pic comes out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by