Pekin and muscovy food?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Firework, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Firework

Firework Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Minneeesooodaaa
    Has anyone ever raised Pekins or muscovys on just grass and foraged bugs? Can they derive all their nutrients necessary for development on grass and bugs?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    They MIGHT...but how can you tell if they are getting the right mix of vitamins and nutrients?

Best course is to offer commercial feed and give them access to grass and bugs and kitchen scraps. They will spend most of the day foraging, then just eat what they need out of the feed bag.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  3. Shanay235

Shanay235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    WV
    I tried letting my Pekin & Pekin mixes forage for their own food one year and it didn't work out too well. Even though they (22 of them) had two acres of land with over 700 ft. of creek bed to wander in they still got too skinny. They were always looking in the feeder like they were starved to death.

4. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i would keep a bowl/ feeder with some feed (If you have females, using a layer feed is best) And wherever you put feed, make sure there is a bucket with some water as well... Ducks need water nearby when they are eating or they can choke...

There are also some other supplements you should offer them just just make sure they are healthy and have everything they need-

Scratch grains (has corn, oats, wheat, ect in it)
    Grit
    If you have females and they are laying, offer them oyster shell to help prevent egg binding. (it helps them make good shells)

5. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Pekins are not very thrifty ducks. If you want ducks that can forage for more of their feed then consider Runners, Welsh Harlequins/Khaki Campbells, and mallards. Muscovy males are pretty large and thus have higher feed requirements. Runners are especially active foragers and exceptional egg layers. If you have a pond and can grow some Duckweed in it, that will provide a huge amount of protein for them.

6. clayhillcouple

clayhillcouple Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2009
    Middleburg Florida
    My Peking Ducks like the laying crumble that I give our chickens. I also give them Pizza Hut breadstixs in there water..[​IMG]

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Domestic ducks have had the instinct to forage for all their needs bred out of them. They need to have their diet balanced with all purpose feed or layer feed for laying ducks. Mine like to drill around for tasty tidbits, but they get their main nutrition from the feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by