Pekin and Runner Mix??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DucklingLovee, Nov 25, 2014.

1. DucklingLovee

DucklingLovee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    Klamath Falls, OR.
    So I have female Pekin that we take to a local pond every spring and leave her there with the other ducks until it gets chilly. We don't have a pond at home and we like her to be able to swim when it's hot. We bring her back home for the winter, we have very cold winters here. I just went to pick her up again today and she came running to me and hopped right in the kennel like always, except this time a little male Blue Runner followed her and got in the kennel too lol. I have them both home now and my question is; is it possible to have little runner/pekin ducklings? If so what will they look like?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Yes the Runner and pekin will mate if they are of opposite sex, and the ducklings will be adorable. they will look like both parents.

Listen your taking a big risk droping your duck off every year at the pond diseases are more prevalent there, I know you want your duck to be happy but most of us don't have pond we just use kiddy pools for our water fowl, and we know they are safe and happy, very sweet of you to take in the lil Runner, most likel y someone dumped the lil one off and he is so people oriented that he felt safe following your duck right into the crate. Now you have 2 ducks to be responsible for please keep them safe and at home. So many things can happen at a pond stray dogs, wild animals, people being mean and abusive. disease. Love to see pics of your 2 when you have a chance, and Welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  3. DucklingLovee

Mar 11, 2014
    Klamath Falls, OR.
    I tried to have a kiddie pool for her, but she would not get in it. I tried every day to coax her in but she didn't like it. The pond is literally right down the street and I'm there at least three times a day. But I know it's not a great set up, I'm trying to find another way to keep them happy. Thank you!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Put the pool out she will eventually like it if she hasn't a choice, it just takes time. Your decision though. I have a nice mountain river down below my home and would love for my water fowl to be able to go down and play but I also know others along this river who had ducks and let them down to it and they were taken eventually, that's actually how I got my first 2 ducks, [drakes] it's not a safe place and yes they may live many months to years but eventually something will happen, I don't know maybe I just get to attached but I take my role as keeper quite seriously. and I have 10 yr old ducks to prove it. I'm not saying you don't care about your duck/s it's just not the best decision I'm seeing.

5. DucklingLovee

Mar 11, 2014
    Klamath Falls, OR.
    I'll definitely be taking your advice. I already lost her brother and sister to a raccoon in my own yard in broad daylight, I definitely don't want to lose her too. This is my first time with ducks so I was inexperienced and wasn't quite sure what was best for them. Thank you very much!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I hope you'll stick around and share some pics with us we love seeing pics. Enjoy those ducks.

7. DucklingLovee

Mar 11, 2014
    Klamath Falls, OR.
    [​IMG]

That's them now, I'll post pictures if we ever get ducklings!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Aww they are precious, boy you really got blessed having that lil Runner come home with you he is gorgeous. they will have some beautiful ducklings. Keep them safe. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  9. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    Round Rock, TX
    Very cute! I'm so glad they are home for the winter. I also use a kiddie pool and my guys were scared of it at first. Now they love it. Have you tried to entice them with treats? Do they like fish? Maybe some minnows in there or in a water bowl next to it. We all learn as we go and there are some great people and ideas on here.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by