pekin bantam

Nicola

Chook Cuddlin' Aussie
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
ACT
are they good layers?? and how long till they start laying?
D.gif
and do they go broody esaliy(scuse the spelling)

I have nine pekin bantams, 1 year old. They have been providing 6-8 eggs a day for the past month. During the winter they produced 3-4 eggs daily. They started laying even before the ISA browns at about 19 weeks.

They also go broody quite easily. It is just coming into spring here, so I expected an upturn in egg production. They seemed to be more broody in the fall. The general thought is that pekins don't lay very well, but mine sure do! Maybe you just have to keep them happy. They have very sweet dispositions and tame easily. Mine come running whenever anyone is in the yard. Flying drumsticks!

Last edited:
Everything I've read about pekin bantams are positive, but nothing tops experience right? I have similar questions so I will watch this thread.
big_smile.png

Does anyone have any advice for keeping them that's not positive? Like things to watch out for, or if they're prone to any bad behaviours or illnesses?

We got two young pekin bantams from a breeder in February. We found one dead after about six weeks and the other one died this morning. We noticed nothing wrong previously, we were paying special attention to the last one and she always came up and ate when we fed out, free ranged, in a mixed flock, not the bottom of the pecking order.....I have no idea why we have had such a bad time with this breed, all the others are just fine. I would welcome any ideas??

Back
Top Bottom